PDA

View Full Version : The servers are melting! You might want to wait a bit.

Razmear
April 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
If you haven't started the upgrade process via update manager to 9.04 yet, you might want to wait a day as the servers are under extreme loads and download speeds are ranging from 3000 B/s to 25 KB/s

Are there any stats on how many downloads are happening today? I would think that this would be rivaling FireFox 3.0's first day traffic levels. (but then they weren't downloading a gig of data each.)

I'm two hours plus into the upgrade and have 358 of 1434 files downloaded currently at the blazing speed of 14.4 KB/s (wow, I remember when that was fast :) )

Have fun watching the scroll bar,
eb

Godly
April 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
It's a good sign of interested users!

GMod
April 23rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'd take that a a great sign. I'm after the full version as well as the update. Holding off on both for now because of traffic. Started the full download at noon central time and 3 hours and 20 minutes later I'm only 28% done.

Razmear
April 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
I've surrendered for now at 485 files downloaded in 3 hours. Might try again later tonight.

eb

ximhot
April 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
My thinking is to download the iso from a file sharing website and install from a CD. That way we don't have to overload the server. Agree?

Zyrshnikashnu
April 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
us.archive.ubuntu.com just keeps timing out on me. I guess I can wait. :P

canoemoose
April 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hmm. Mine has sat at 106 of 1351 for at least an hour now with no download speed shown - I'm going to leave it overnight and see what has happened in the morning. Perhaps the servers *have* melted!
If I'd been acting logically I'd have left it for a bit or downlooaded the alternat CD image via torrents.

Razmear
April 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
My thinking is to download the iso from a file sharing website and install from a CD. That way we don't have to overload the server. Agree?

Will doing it from CD instead of the package manager correctly recognize all my installed apps, drivers and stuff tho? That was my main concern and why I'm doing the update manager method.

eb

Newfoundlander
April 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Are there any stats on how many downloads are happening today? I would think that this would be rivaling FireFox 3.0's first day traffic levels.

I hope they release some statistics on the number of downloads and upgrades for Jaunty. The latest figures based on the popularity of the top five distributions show that Linux users outnumber Mac users.

Artemis3
April 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
I got a wonderful 3000 B/s at home just to install the recent firefox security updates. Why isn't p2p in wide use yet? apt-p2p needs a bandwidth limiter :[

NFblaze
April 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
You guys really oughta just use the torrents...they are a ton faster....you guys would've been done by now....

esalnoj
April 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
For .iso from the main ubuntu download site,

The mirror in South Africa is stable and running between 690 kps to 1.3 Mps.

The US servers are slow, especially the universities.

The Poland servers give a faulty download.

Cheers,

Esalnoj

barney385
April 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
You guys really oughta just use the torrents...they are a ton faster....you guys would've been done by now....

Yeah? I started to download and it was running way too slow.

Where are these torrents available?

OK, I found it: http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/

HotShotDJ
April 23rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
You guys really oughta just use the torrents...they are a ton faster....you guys would've been done by now....VERY true. I just downloaded ubuntu-9.04-i386.iso via torrent (using the torrent file from mininova) and it took less than 30 minutes, and the MD5SUM came out correctly.

barney385
April 23rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah. Mine will be done in another 15 minutes.

Nice

NinjaBunny
April 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah? I started to download and it was running way too slow.

Where are these torrents available?

OK, I found it: http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/

Looks like the server's crashed there too.

Garrovick
April 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM
I picked a good server to download the iso. Took around 15 minutes to get the file mid morning. Then during a fresh install, it stopped for about 5 minutes at 82 percent while scanning something. Then the updater opened automatically and did it's thing quickly.

barney385
April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
Still works for me.

???

Stoodle
April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I think that for the next release a P2P system should be used to download updates.

If you download a CD though, then you have to burn it and install the system again right? Anyway to use the .iso to only upgrade?

ahbart
April 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
I think that for the next release a P2P system should be used to download updates.

Well not for security updates :D

apple_and _linux
April 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
I downloaded the live CD from Portland State University (not entirely sure of the name, but it involved Portland) this morning and since then have upgraded two machines from the New Zealand server, of all places. All three times I enjoyed download speeds averaging above 400 kpbs. Perhaps that's changed now, but you might want to give it a shot; for upgrading, go to System>Administration>Software Sources and change your server to New Zealand (or use the Find Best Server feature). As far as the Live CD, just try a few different servers and don't rely on the main server.
Good luck!

paradigm2
April 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM

If you download a CD though, then you have to burn it and install the system again right? Anyway to use the .iso to only upgrade?

I'm not sure about using the iso only to upgrade. But I agree about using a p2p system. Also I'd take it a step further and integrate it with the package managers so everything is done over p2p utilizing central "tracker like" systems which contain data on who has which versions and what the valid hashes are.

Then we should never have these capacity problems again... and we'd be more fault tolerant.

fourwheeldrifter
April 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
i was lucky enough to notice them changing the release candidate pages to the release pages before they did the site and remote logged into home to download it - i hope i was the first :) i got about 1meg per second which i dont normally get on my internet connection :D

BDNiner
April 23rd, 2009, 11:32 PM
I downloaded the live CD from Portland State University (not entirely sure of the name, but it involved Portland) this morning and since then have upgraded two machines from the New Zealand server, of all places. All three times I enjoyed download speeds averaging above 400 kpbs. Perhaps that's changed now, but you might want to give it a shot; for upgrading, go to System>Administration>Software Sources and change your server to New Zealand (or use the Find Best Server feature). As far as the Live CD, just try a few different servers and don't rely on the main server.
Good luck!

Using the New Zealand server is the best idea I have heard all day. It is finally moving for me!! hopefully it won't time out.

nevermind it timed out. I guess I will have to wait for a while before trying again

dwouters
April 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
It's a good sign of interested users!

A very good sign indeed!!!!

taygan
April 24th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure about using the iso only to upgrade. But I agree about using a p2p system. Also I'd take it a step further and integrate it with the package managers so everything is done over p2p utilizing central "tracker like" systems which contain data on who has which versions and what the valid hashes are.

Then we should never have these capacity problems again... and we'd be more fault tolerant.

Use the "Alternate Install" image if you want to upgrade. It can also be used for clean installs, but isn't as user friendly as the Live "Desktop" cd. "Alternate Install" can also be used for full installations, but there's no live session and it looks like the old clunky Debian installer.

AND USE THE TORRENTS FOUND HERE:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/

Ronin_301
April 24th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I was planning on downloading the upgrade and the iso (just for reinstall purposes at a later date) today but I think I'll wait a couple days for the upgrade and just torrent the iso. Already waited this long, what's a couple more days?

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I've been downloading just fine. :-) can't wait to install.

Peasantoid
April 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
So this is why I can't download any packages... :|

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM
So this is why I can't download any packages... :|

Unfortunately that probably is... but don't worry rush will calm down by tommorow and drastically the day after.

arashiko28
April 24th, 2009, 12:23 AM
As they said, the closes it may not be fastest, I live in the Caribbean and had to choose Netherlands to get a download, took 1h 30m to download 699MB, now I'm testing in live CD, perhaps install today and update tomorrow or saturday ;)

It's not only the servers for downloading Ubuntu, today internet has been awkwardly slow, so I called my service provider, the operator told me that they were experiencing a huge load on their servers so now that you mention it, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC IS LINUXER!!!! ):P

Saabtite
April 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Oh man, getting the alternate install ISO is SOOOOOO much faster than Update manager.

Thank you! I'm currently at 150KB/ps

jemlinus
April 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I've been seeding for a while now and seems like there is a lot people deleting after they finished downloading. Come on!!!!!

ghindo
April 24th, 2009, 12:57 AM
If you're downloading the ISO, use torrents.

If you're upgrading, select a closer server.

No problems. :popcorn:

Redundant Username
April 24th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I'm using the update manager. Why don't they make everything p2p based?

TheLions
April 24th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I'm using the update manager. Why don't they make everything p2p based?

p2p upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04:
http://blog.chenhow.net/os/linux/ubuntu/using-apt-p2p-for-faster-upgrades-from-intrepid-to-jaunty/

0per4t0r
April 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I'm downloading Xubuntu and speeds for me have been all over the place, from less than 7 kb/s to 60+ kb/sec.

I just request a free cd of ubuntu and kubuntu, but sadly xubuntu doesn't have shipit.

Fatal Toenail Infection
April 24th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Links to torrents:

Ubuntu
http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Kubuntu
http://mirrors.ccs.neu.edu/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/9.04/kubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Xubuntu
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs-Xubuntu/9.04/release/xubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

These are FLYING right now.

stucky
April 24th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Started just a little after 9 am this morning Pacific time and am almost done. Stalled for a bit on the MPD setup and now is stalled at the monodoc setup. WILL IT EVER END????????

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Wow...cr4zy the mass of downloads and issues due to overload.

rileinc
April 24th, 2009, 01:36 AM
seems like there is a lot people deleting after they finished downloading. Come on!!!!!More like, a lot of people installing it right after downloading!

the_monster
April 24th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I tried doing an upgrade beginning at 4 pm MDT, and I was getting on average 14 to 30 kb's, so I gonna leave it until at least after midnight.

Too bad you can't upgrade using the regular install cd. :( Might get the alternate install cd.

MikeTheC
April 24th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Those loads appear to be continuing, even at this hour.

All in all, it's a good sign if that many people are installing it.

And I cannot believe how quick it boots to the login screen. Wow!

Hyper Tails
April 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM
well I'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue

phaed
April 24th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I just posted this idea in another thread, but I'll post it here. Why not make the packages in the repos into torrents and let people seed them, so those of us who upgrade rather than clean install can take a load off the servers too. At least make the base ubuntu-desktop packages into torrents.

Does that seem feasible?

Iandefor
April 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM
It may prove helpful to remind people of the existence of more than one package mirror for the entire United States.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mirrors#Mirror-Mirrors

I'm on mirrors.kernel.org right now and it's bloody fast.

It's not a problem of insufficient capacity, I don't think. I think the problem is allocation. There are dozens of mirrors for the US alone but everybody just goes right us.archive.ubuntu.com because it's convenient. Some easy, simple way to get my fellow inconsiderate Americans to be able to spread the load across all of the mirrors would be handy. Perhaps something like rankmirrors from Arch would be good.

0per4t0r
April 24th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I started the download for Xubuntu 9.04 at around maybe 4-5 PM, and now it's 9:45 PM, and only 75% is done. Is that good or bad?

JK3mp
April 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah. I usually go for the one thats not obviousely a simple click first choice for that exact reason while downloading ANYTHING off a mirror.

castrojo
April 24th, 2009, 02:51 AM
It's not a problem of insufficient capacity, I don't think. I think the problem is allocation. There are dozens of mirrors for the US alone but everybody just goes right us.archive.ubuntu.com because it's convenient.

This isn't one server it's a round robin.

marche96
April 24th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Oh lord, I decide tonight, of all nights, to install LaTeX :|
Thank god I have some work from my Python class to finish (stupid mindless busywork -_-)

blueshiftoverwatch
April 24th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Is anyone else surprised (or disappointed) that the forums hasn't set a new record today for most users ever online? I was sure that today was going to break the previous record of 35,611 which happened on March 3rd.

canoemoose
April 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
My update managed to do nothing overnight. I cancelled it and started again and it downloaded 400ish packages over the 15mins I ate my breakfast. I'm at college now though so I don't know how it's doing at the moment.

marche96
April 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
apt is still timing out :|
I might just torrent the iso then upgrade to pass some time :P

calrogman
April 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I got my copy from one of the mirrors in England before the final release. FTP lurking FTW.

Here, have some popcorn while you wait!

:popcorn:

marche96
April 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Mmm.. Popcorn.
Still trying to wget the .torrent though...

mikeric
April 24th, 2009, 03:42 PM
seems like no one is using the torrent now. Are the servers doing better now?

HavocXphere
April 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
The download server should have a big fat red note saying

Experienced users should use torrents or mirrors where possible to reduce the load on the main server. A list of mirrors is available here...

Me thinks 90%+ of linux users are quite capable of using mirrors & torrents for grabbing ISOs.

...or people could just stop linking to the main server page directly thereby bypassing the mirror selection.:rolleyes:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Polygon
April 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
i still show 2000 people downloading the x86 torrent and 560 ppl downloading the x64 one.

and the ubuntu update servers don't even work for me anymore, luckily i found the nice feature 'find best server', except it keeps pointing me to a server that has not completely synced yet so i get a ton of 404 errors.

but i find the kernel.org mirror to be quite fast.

insane_alien
April 24th, 2009, 05:02 PM
i'm now seeding x64.

mikeric
April 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
yea now mine is showing that, i dont know why it wasnt before. I dont use torrents much so it could of been something I did. so far i have uploaded over 1.5 gb, ill be leaving it on all day today.

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
after 2 timeouts..I am finally back on 9.04..(took me a day and a half though)

XubuRoxMySox
April 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think I'll wait at least another week before I even try it! Four times so far and every time it stops it never picks up where it left off, but starts the whole humongous mega download from scratch every time.

Which makes me wonder where all that data went that has been downloaded four times! Is my hard drive gonna be too full when I try again? LOL

It would be alot easier if it could pick up where it left off, though. I wonder why it doesn't. I ordered a new CD in the mail, so maybe I'll just re-install it when it arrives.

My internet connection sucks here too, that's pro'lly part of the problem too. No biggie. I'm loving my 8.10! Oh, and my way-kewl Ubuntu ball cap and lanyard arrived to day. Teeshirt was cancelled for back order, dangit. I really wanted to wear my Ubuntu teeshirt to the release party tonight!

-Robin
(rabid fanboy)

insane_alien
April 24th, 2009, 06:58 PM
wow, 1 hour of seeding and i've already seeded twice what i downloaded. much more popular than last year although it could just be that my connection is 10 times faster.

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 06:59 PM
If I'd been acting logically I'd have left it for a bit or downlooaded the alternate CD image via torrents.

yeah, i guess getting the iso via torrents is too much for people to handle. heaven forbid they should have to do a fresh install once every 6 months. it is much better to fight net traffic, wait 6 hours or more to get the update, and hope the upgrade goes well. seems worth it to me. end sarcasm.

Spiritous
April 24th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Already got jaunty, With a 1mb/s speed, Where are you guys?

blueshiftoverwatch
April 25th, 2009, 12:42 AM
It would be alot easier if it could pick up where it left off, though. I wonder why it doesn't. I ordered a new CD in the mail, so maybe I'll just re-install it when it arrives.
I used the Update Manager to install 9.04 and after it froze half way through I tried another mirror and it picked up right where it left off.

Iandefor
April 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM
This isn't one server it's a round robin.That would make sense. So why is/was nearly everyone reporting that us.archive.ubuntu.com is slow as molasses but I had only to randomly try a few different mirrors before finding one that was perfectly quick?

sim-value
April 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe use another server ?

there are hundreds of servers availible :D