PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No 9.04 upgrade available

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Upgrade to 9.04 is not available.

Windsurfer619
April 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Is your computer plugged in? We'll need a bit more info.

Dougie187
April 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
What Version of ubuntu are you using?

Also, in System->Administration->Software Sources

Under the "Updates" tab at the bottom where it says "Release Upgrade" you should have "Normal releases" selected.

If I remember correctly the Default for 8.04 is LTS Releases only, so since this is not an LTS you wouldn't be offered an upgrade. But you can change it to normal releases, and then update-manager should pick it up for you.

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I am using 8.10 and I just checked normal releases under updates. Opened upgrade mgr. and it says 8.10 available.

.nedberg
April 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
I just tried to update. I got some messages stating that it could not get the release notes, update server not available. It also takes a long time to connect to the update servers. Looks like we are not the only ones updating ATM...

I guess I'll wait until tomorrow.

rosswmcgee
April 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
I run two Ubuntu computers, one does show the upgrade, on the other it was 8.04 as you suggested. So I am upgrading to 8.10 and then to 9.04. Will this be OK?

chessnerd
April 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
My computer shows the upgrade, but when it trys to connect to the server, it fails. I'm guessing thousands of Ubuntu users are just getting out of work and school and so they are all trying to upgrade right now. I guess you could try later tonight or tomorrow when things have cooled down a bit.

I'm new to Ubuntu, so I've never tried to install a new release on the day it comes out (or even the month of the upgrade). Is it normal for the servers to be overloaded on the day an upgrade comes out?

.nedberg
April 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Is it normal for the servers to be overloaded on the day an upgrade comes out?

Yes, I just got passed the errors and the updates are being downloaded right now. I am getting quite varying speed...

translucent juicebox
April 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, the servers are severely backed up. I've been trying to upgrade since noon, and I was getting an average download speed between 0 and 5kb/s, and then it just failed a few minutes ago completely. I think it'd be best to just wait till tomorrow to try, with how busy the servers are.

barney385
April 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah they are. I opted for the torrent iso instead...

Slim Odds
April 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
I am using 8.10 and I just checked normal releases under updates. Opened upgrade mgr. and it says 8.10 available.

If it says 8.10 is available, then you're not running 8.10.