PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade/Install 8.04 to 9.04

Zanian
April 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
9.04 is out and I am supper excited to give it a whirl. The problem is, I have 8.04 so I would have to upgrade to 8.10 first. My issue with this is 8.10 was awful for me. A lot of sound issues, printing issues, file association issues (I could go into detail about them, but essentially I just reverted back to 8.04). So if I upgrade I will have to go through 8.10 or do a clean install. I was wondering what you guys would suggest I do, given my situation and fear of going through 8.10. Some people have suggested to others, don't fix what's not broken (and especially in my case that would seem to be relevant), but I am aching to try jaunty. So, upgrade, install or stay put?
Thanks in advance

kestrel1
April 23rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
For what it is worth, here is my input.
I would suggest a couple of options.
1) Use VirtualBox to install Jaunty (may not be the best option, but least distructive.
2) Install Jaunty to a new partition along side 8.04. Run jaunty until you get it configured the way you want. Either keep 8.04 or remove once you are happy with Jaunty.

Zanian
April 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks for your reply. I sat on the question for a while and then decided to do a clean install. All the issues that came up were easy to deal with and Jaunty is a huge improvement. I'm so pleased. So thanks again to you and to the Ubuntu team.