PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgradin to 9.04, partition question

unitedwefall
April 23rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hi

I've been using ubuntu desktop for a few months and i love it (although i'm still dual booting with vista, and want to stay that way). Now 9.04 is out i want to get rid of 8.10 and use that instead. I just want to format my 8.10 partition and start again but im not really sure how, on the partioioner i guess you choose the custom bit but im really crap and i have no idea how to do it.

Thanks

x

Law506
April 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Scratch what I wrote, didn't think that all the way through.

ubername
April 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi

I've been using ubuntu desktop for a few months and i love it (although i'm still dual booting with vista, and want to stay that way). Now 9.04 is out i want to get rid of 8.10 and use that instead. I just want to format my 8.10 partition and start again but im not really sure how, on the partioioner i guess you choose the custom bit but im really crap and i have no idea how to do it.

Thanks

x

You should be able to upgrade from your upgrade manager (system>administration>update manager). If you do not get a message at the top of the screen saying 9.04 is available, you may need to click the settings button and make sure that 'Release Upgrade' has 'normal releases selected.

unitedwefall
April 23rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Well the "guided setup entire disk" option is trying to get me to format my whole hard disk, including vista so i recon that isn't right, thanks though!

I dont want to just upgrade though, i want to format that partition and just basically "start again" surely you can do that through the partition manager on the live cd?

Law506
April 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Well the "guided setup entire disk" option is trying to get me to format my whole hard disk, including vista so i recon that isn't right, thanks though!

Yea, that is why I retracted my previous statement, was thinking of something totally different. My bad on that one.

unitedwefall
April 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Yea, that is why I retracted my previous statement, was thinking of something totally different. My bad on that one.

haha thats ok, thanks anyway!

Anyone else got any ideas? i know this is probably really easy but i'm crap. Also sorry for the spelling mistake in the title of this thread.

michy99
April 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM
I don't have the disk, as I am not upgrading at this time, but I believe there is an option to partition manually. You just need to choose the partition that your current Ubuntu is on and leave the rest alone.

It's a good idea to backup all your data first.

SuperSonic4
April 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
You can pick to partition the disk manually. From there you should be able to identify your ubuntu installation and select to install / there. You can also use the manual to have partitions for /home and anything else you like

unitedwefall
April 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
cool, what filesystem type should i use?

Paqman
April 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
cool, what filesystem type should i use?

The default is ext3. You've also got the option of using the newer version ext4, which should help you boot faster.