PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound on a mac

Roadbloc
April 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I currently run ubuntu on a compaq presario 1700us. To be honest it is a rubbish laptop and i only gotinto ubuntu becuase it was the only os the laptop would run without grinding to a halt.

I am about to leave school and study music technology in college and i have heard the best kind of laptop for music development, however i despise os x. Will ubuntu, if installed onto a mac book, recognise all of the microphone/headphone/line in ports and will be able to be used as a music recording/mixing machine?

khelben1979
April 23rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
If you choose Ubuntu, go for Ubuntu studio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio).

(Don't ask me how good it is)

LowSky
April 23rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ubuntu Studio is Ubuntu with Movie/Music/Picture editing software built in and a different theme, thats it. Worth looking into, you can actually add the packages to a current ubuntu install.

Honestly you could do mixing on Linux very easily, check out a progrma called audacity, its very cool for a open source app.

Why buy a Mac just to run Ubuntu, buy a PC for much cheaper if you want to run Linux. No point wasting money on a computer that is usually overpriced and outdated versus the competition's machines.

You have to realize why the music/movie industry love Macs, and that is because of the software, like iLife. they want you to have a Mac because they will be teaching you from that perspective.

Now dont get me wrong Linux has many awesome options for the work you wnat to do but Macs are the status quo.

khelben1979
April 24th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Why buy a Mac just to run Ubuntu, buy a PC for much cheaper if you want to run Linux. No point wasting money on a computer that is usually overpriced and outdated versus the competition's machines.

Since mac:s are often experienced as something personal, often way more personal than pc:s, I don't agree that a mac would be a waste of money compared to a pc. In fact, it might even be the opposite.

But sure, if you're only speaking about high tech hardware, then getting a mac would be a waste of money. They are overpriced.

random turnip
April 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Mac's are defiantly what you want for music tech, as much as i love Ubuntu, mac just has everything you are going to need, Ubuntu doesn't.
But yes, you should be able to do a dual boot on a mac book just as easily, i am unsure about drivers for it though.

Roadbloc
April 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the answrs guys, just one more question,

i don'tknow if anyone will be able to answer this but if i do install ubuntu onto a mac (either dual booted or taking the full disk) and i dont like it, will there be a way to restore os x back to its origional state (eg like a restore cd or something?)