PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't seem to be able to upgrade

anico
April 23rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm trying to upgrade to jaunty... but when i click on "upgrade" in update manager.. it tells me an error:

"COULD NOT DOWNLOAD THE RELEASE NOTES: please check your internet connection."

Clearly... something is odd.. because my internet connection has never been faster... and i'm writing this thread.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot

anico
April 23rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
i'm guessing overcrowded servers...

BertP
April 23rd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I have a Dell pre installed with Ubuntu 7.10 that I bought 15 months ago and I was never able to upgrade to 8.04.... regardless of whether online or via CD, the version 8 install always failed. Have the installs for 9 been rewritten or will I be forced to install Windows?

LowSky
April 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
really over crowded servers!!!!

Rank Distribution in the last 7 days on distrowatch
1 Ubuntu 3468
2 openSUSE 1249
3 Easy Peasy 1245
4 Fedora 1209
5 Debian 1129

Ubuntu usually is the top distro but these numbers are really inflated

I'm actually suprised Easy Peasy (aka Ubuntu Eee) has so many hits

LowSky
April 23rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
I have a Dell pre installed with Ubuntu 7.10 that I bought 15 months ago and I was never able to upgrade to 8.04.... regardless of whether online or via CD, the version 8 install always failed. Have the installs for 9 been rewritten or will I be forced to install Windows?

Why not use the upgrade feature? Gutsy wont be supported much longer!

BertP
April 23rd, 2009, 09:01 PM

I have and it failed. I also download and iso, burned a cd and tried to install... it failed as well

XubuRoxMySox
April 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM

In order to upgrade to 9.04 you must do it from Intrepid (version 8.10). You cannot upgrade from a previous version of Ubuntu (other than 8.10 - upgrading from Intrepid is easy). If you have 8.04 or earlier, you must install 9.04 from a live CD.

Save your /home folder to a backup medium (write it to a CD or flash drive) and copy it's contents back into the new /home folder after installation.

-Robin

mgranet
April 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Gusty is not supported AT ALL. Life support for our favorite simian ended 4/18.