PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation help for Acer AOA110 Netbook

NormanP51
April 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
My friend was complaining about the speed of Windows Vista on his Acer netbook, so I decided to do him a favor and install Ubuntu, the day that I was to install it, he calls me telling me his computer won't boot windows, it wont even get to the boot screen. So I brought my USB Flash drive with Ubuntu 8.10 over and attempted to install it. It will go as far as 15% on the partitioner, and then come up with a partitioning error. He has an 8gb solid state drive instead of a hard drive. I have tried manually partitioning the drive, using an SD card, or a USB flashdrive as swap space, and numerous other things that I could think to do, but none of it seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wpshooter
April 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
First, are you testing the integrity of your Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

I would get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the hard drive completely clean. But let me say that I have never tried this on a solid state drive before, so I have no experience with doing this on a solid state but I know that it does work perfectly on mechanical hard drives.

Then, after WIPING the drive, try your installation to the solid state drive from the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.

NormanP51
April 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM
First, are you testing the integrity of your Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubuntu boot screen menu ?

I would get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the hard drive completely clean. But let me say that I have never tried this on a solid state drive before, so I have no experience with doing this on a solid state but I know that it does work perfectly on mechanical hard drives.

Then, after WIPING the drive, try your installation to the solid state drive from the ALTERNATE (text based) CD version of Ubuntu.

Good luck.
I am installing it from a USB flash drive, as the netbook does not have a disc drive. I will try Killdisk if it can be ran without an operating system as currently windows will not boot, and I can only run the live disk version of ubuntu. Also, i'm fairly new to all this, what exactly do you mean by the text based cd version?