PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update Manager or fresh install to 9.04 from 8.10?

adlin5000
April 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'm running 8.10 and I was wondering which method is recommended: upgrading from the update manager or via a fresh install from the cd?

Also if I'm running a Q6600 with 2 gigs of RAM, is it worth it to go with the 64bit version, or should I stick with the 32bit? I've looked at a few threads on this, but most of them are older. Just curious what the current thinking on this is.

Thanks

wpshooter
April 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
My recommendation is to do a fresh complete reinstallation about 2 to 3 months from now !!!

smileypaul
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Upgrade through the upgrade manager.

Stay on 32 bit.. theres no appreciable difference in 64bit.

adlin5000
April 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
My recommendation is to do a fresh complete reinstallation about 2 to 3 months from now !!!

Any particular reason I should wait? Or just the "Never buy a system at launch" idea?

poldie
April 23rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Any particular reason I should wait? Or just the "Never buy a system at launch" idea?

That's why I'm waiting.

I'm also hoping that some of the problems I've having with 8.10 will be fixed. Namely that there doesn't appear to be a cd ripper which converts to mp3 (unless you want crappy sound 128kbps files), nor is there a cd/dvd writing app which doesn't hang when it attempts to verify after the write. I've raised bug reports on the apps concerned, but nothing seems to happen after that. I can do this stuff on the same box (dual boot system) on the XP install, so it's not hardware related. The mp3 problem seems to have been around for years now. As is often the case, there are sites with 'solutions' but the forums on those sites are full of 'this didn't work for me' comments posted 2 years ago.