PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04 using CD

jeff.jones.illinois
April 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
I presently run Ubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Ubuntu system. Today I downloaded the new 9.04 release (32-bit) and burned the ISO image to a CD-R.

So far so good. Now my question is once I put that CD-R with the 9.04 ISO file in my laptop how do I go about updating to the new version? I want the update to pull from the CD not try to connect to a mirror which is what the Administration > Update Manager feature does. Is there a way to do this using the terminal? I saw some support forums talking about using the Alternative CD distro to do this, but I'm using the regular 32-bit distro.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

itmanvn
April 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
I presently run Ubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Ubuntu system. Today I downloaded the new 9.04 release (32-bit) and burned the ISO image to a CD-R.

So far so good. Now my question is once I put that CD-R with the 9.04 ISO file in my laptop how do I go about updating to the new version? I want the update to pull from the CD not try to connect to a mirror which is what the Administration > Update Manager feature does. Is there a way to do this using the terminal? I saw some support forums talking about using the Alternative CD distro to do this, but I'm using the regular 32-bit distro.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading see: Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD

NFblaze
April 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Did you download the right iso?

To do an upgrade of an existing Ubuntu installation... you have to download the Alternate Install iso.....not the Desktop one.

After that you burn it to a disc/

Pop it in

Restart.

If you boot parameters are set up right it should recognize it automatically and bring you to the installation screen if not.... retart again and hit F12 repeatedly
until you see a boot CD screen.

Boot from CD and you should see the install screen...everything should be self explanatory from there.