PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Netbook Suggestions

oxsyn
April 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm looking to buy a new netbook. Requirements are:

1.6gz Atom Processor
2GB RAM
MIN 32GB HD (SATA/PATA/SSD not important)
801.11 supports packet injection (preferably an atheros chipset)
Prefer 10" size screen

Bonus Points:
Internal 3G (or expansion slot, not USB)
Touchscreen

I'm probably just dreaming. System76's closest system is the darter, but that's got more juice than I want. The dell mini 10 only offers 1gb of ram (and comes with XP installed, not sure if all the hardware will work with Ubuntu).

Any suggestions?

HankB
April 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'm looking to buy a new netbook. Requirements are:

1.6gz Atom Processor
2GB RAM
MIN 32GB HD (SATA/PATA/SSD not important)
801.11 supports packet injection (preferably an atheros chipset)
Prefer 10" size screen

Bonus Points:
Internal 3G (or expansion slot, not USB)
Touchscreen

I'm probably just dreaming. System76's closest system is the darter, but that's got more juice than I want. The dell mini 10 only offers 1gb of ram (and comes with XP installed, not sure if all the hardware will work with Ubuntu).

Any suggestions?

You won't find an XP netbook with more than 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD or 160GB HD due to MS licensing requirements.

Most netbooks can be upgraded to 2GB RAM and some can even be ordered that way if you specify Linux as the OS.

H/W support is pretty good on my Eee PC 901 (upgraded to 2GB RAM and came with 20GB SSD.) There's a European version (I think) that comes with 3G, the 901GO, but I'm not sure if that's usable/available in the US. (My son had the USB Verizon thing which worked better in his Acer Aspire One than his wife's Mac. The Mac didn't like hot plugging whereas the AAO running Xubuntu handled it with aplomb.)

The Eee has an Ralink WiFi chip and I have no idea if it supports what yoyu want.

HTH,
hank