PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu, totaly free?

Rasymas
January 6th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Greetings, and please forgive me not for searching is there any topics like this. I thought I could use irc, but I'm more than a n00b there, so mission imposible! Here's my problem. I heard that when you order Linux, they ship you the copy for free, but I doubt it's not quite true. I live in Lithuania. I think I'll have to pay for smth. e.g. Post taxes etc. Please, anyone guide me! I'm really looking forward to get Linux on my PC. And if it's not free to deliver the cd to my country, then I'll have to download it, my internet speed no good though!

Thanks in advance ;)

Lord Illidan
January 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I think you might have to pay for customs.
Leave it a night to download, my download speed isn't too good neither, but I downloaded 3 distros in one night.

kunze_m
January 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi!

I just received my copy last week totally free (no shipping, nothing). So it is working in germany. Maybe there is some local fee in Lithuania for customs or tax. Let's hope it is not.

Regards,
mikel

Lovechild
January 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
If there is a problem with shipping to your country and you are unable to download the iso, I shall gladly out of my own pocket send you a nice Ubuntu cdset.

Rasymas
January 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Wow, thanks for the help guys, but I think I'll give a try and order some, actually 2 CDs :) if there's some taxes to be paid, I hope they're not bigger than 10 EUROs. Otherwise it would be baaaaad.... :p

matthew
January 6th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I would be surprised if you end up paying anything in customs for only two cds, however that really depends on local laws and the level of corruption in the customs office. Anyway, I would expect a good result.

earobinson
January 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I still havent paied anything for my cds :)

Minyaliel
January 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Labas! I live in Norway, and got shipit cd's. Totally free. So no worries, you're not going to pay a dime ;)

dosed150
January 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
doesnt the eu have a unified customs policy so you shouldnt have to pay customs i didnt and the other people from the eu hear havent

orbital
January 6th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I live in Finland and got my cd's totally free.

jeremy
January 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM
doesnt the eu have a unified customs policy so you shouldnt have to pay customs i didnt and the other people from the eu hear havent
This is correct, there are no customs duties within the EU, here is a list of all the countries in the EU:
* Austria
* Belgium
* Cyprus
* Czech Republic
* Denmark
* Estonia
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hungary
* Ireland
* Italy
* Latvia
* Lithuania
* Luxembourg
* Malta
* Netherlands
* Poland
* Portugal
* Slovakia
* Slovenia
* Spain
* Sweden
* United Kingdom

alamba
January 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Works beautifully to India...I got my pack of 5 and did'nt pay a dime.

Akshay

Kuolio
January 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Finland here also, and I got all my 50 breezy CD's for free. No customs fees, no nothing. But it took almost two months for them to arrive.. you'd be a lot faster to download and burn the cd's yourself.

southernman
January 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM
When they send you the cd - it's pretty likely that they send them as a "gift" which should prevent any customs' fee or taxes.

Just a guess though.

Lord Illidan
January 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
This is correct, there are no customs duties within the EU, here is a list of all the countries in the EU:
* Austria
* Belgium
* Cyprus
* Czech Republic
* Denmark
* Estonia
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hungary
* Ireland
* Italy
* Latvia
* Lithuania
* Luxembourg
* Malta
* Netherlands
* Poland
* Portugal
* Slovakia
* Slovenia
* Spain
* Sweden
* United Kingdom

Thanks for including my little country!! In Malta the CDs were recieved after some time.. 3 months but completely free.

Rasymas
January 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Works beautifully to India...I got my pack of 5 and did'nt pay a dime.

Akshay

hey, you the one who's hanging around MafiaScene.com aren't ya ;)

Anyway, thank you guys for response, I'm glad you help me! *clicks request CDs... bla bla bla... Aproved*

yay :p

Later :)

Rasymas
January 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Damn, Ubuntu kicks a##, they delivered me my Ubuntu cds via post in less than a 3 weeks. I'm so happy :p Ubuntu rocks ;)

Zdravko
January 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
The Ubuntu CDs were shipped in Bulgaria for about 4 weeks. Totally free! But I ordered only 1 CD (not as usual 5). Anyway, I've heard, that if the amount of requested CDs is too large, a tax fee is collected.

Rasymas
January 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
yeah, maybe, i found smth on the other side of the envelope. ...For shiping purposes, we declare a 0.26 EUR value for each CD.... so i guess, if you order 1000 CD yo'll pay smth like 250 Euros :P Anyway, UBUNTU is cool :P

ps. I didn't pay a single cent :P

WeyOh
April 23rd, 2008, 02:47 PM
There should be no tax, so don't worry!

bash
April 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
* Austria
* Belgium
* Cyprus
* Czech Republic
* Denmark
* Estonia
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hungary
* Ireland
* Italy
* Latvia
* Lithuania
* Luxembourg
* Malta
* Netherlands
* Poland
* Portugal
* Slovakia
* Slovenia
* Spain
* Sweden
* United Kingdom

You forgot Bulgaria and Romania which are in on probation.