PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Never easy, is it?

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I try to install the CD Boot Helper as I can't boot from the CD (Tried several times)and it gets stuck on;

Installing CD boot helper.

Error Code:
An error occurred:
Permission denied
For more information, please see the log file: C:\docume~1\account\temp\wubi-9.04-rev128.log

For the bit in the log with error:
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
04-23 17:59 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 55, in run
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 125, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 193, in run_cd_menu
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 119, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 216, in run_cd_boot
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\frontends\win32\frontend.py", line 137, in run_tasks
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: ## Finished use_cd
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist

Hope you can help :(

Dougie187
April 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Are you a system administrator?

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yup. ;)

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ahh, also, when I boot from CD, i click Try without installing, just freezes... should I try waiting or is it instant? (sorry for double post)

stchman
April 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I try to install the CD Boot Helper as I can't boot from the CD (Tried several times)and it gets stuck on;

Installing CD boot helper.

Error Code:
An error occurred:
Permission denied
For more information, please see the log file: C:\docume~1\account\temp\wubi-9.04-rev128.log

For the bit in the log with error:
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
04-23 17:59 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 55, in run
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 125, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 193, in run_cd_menu
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 119, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\application.py", line 216, in run_cd_boot
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\w ubi\frontends\win32\frontend.py", line 137, in run_tasks
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: ## Finished use_cd
04-23 17:59 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist

Hope you can help :(

It appears you are trying to install Ubuntu using WUBI. I don't recommend WUBI as your install is susceptible to NTFS shortcomings.

Free up about 40GB of hdd space (make it free space) and tell the installer to use the largest continuous free space. Easy.

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
It appears you are trying to install Ubuntu using WUBI. I don't recommend WUBI as your install is susceptible to NTFS shortcomings.

Free up about 40GB of hdd space (make it free space) and tell the installer to use the largest continuous free space. Easy.

WUBI?

Sorry I'm an absolute noob to this -.-'

*EDIT* Going to try booting without help, i'll say if it works :)

*EDIT 2* Nope, frozen again

sandyd
April 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
WUBI?

Sorry I'm an absolute noob to this -.-'

*EDIT* Going to try booting without help, i'll say if it works :)

hes asking... if you installed it by popping the cd into the cd drive while running windows or mounting the cd while running windows.

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Ahh, I put the CD into the drive while in windows because when i booted from the BIOS it froze on Install Ubuntu & Everything else there, Try ubuntu, etc... No, i didn't mount.

LowSky
April 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
how did you burn the disk?

you created a bootable ISO correct?

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I used InfraRecorder and burned the ISO from ubuntu I downloaded.

CRIMPS
April 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
What are the specs of your hardware? Maybe you should look at the Alternate ISO.

mysoogal
April 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
try installing 8.10 using wubi it should work good

the ubuntu 9 versions seem to be so unstable and why is everybody so exciting over this release, for me it only seems to be breaking things than improving :confused:

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Shall I try 8.04?

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
try installing 8.10 using wubi it should work good

the ubuntu 9 versions seem to be so unstable and why is everybody so exciting over this release, for me it only seems to be breaking things than improving :confused:

Sorry didn't see post, ok

Spiritous
April 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
SUCCESS! Thanks everyone :)

hesjnet
April 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
too late :-D

jklowden
May 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I got a similar permission denied error with a Python traceback in the log. (Preserved, contact me if you want it.)

The whole permission thing was spurious in my case: the CD was bad. Apparently the script interprets ordinary I/O errors as permission errors.

My advice: make sure you can read the whole CD. Something like "xcopy /x D:\ NUL:" might do the trick.