PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running third party programs.

sashag
April 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi!

It's been a while since I've posted to this group! Anyway, I just
downloaded the Iolo Drivescrubber program to the Ubuntu desktop, but now have no idea of how to make it 'run'! If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated!

Also, since the Drivescrubber program needs to be 'authenticated' over the internet, I need to set up an internet connection. How do I go about setting up the internet connection using Ubuntu? When I first downloaded the Ubuntu program on my friend's laptop, I didn't get 'setup' instructions for various tasks, like setting up the internet. I would like very 'easy', step-by-step guidance in setting up the internet on her laptop, so that later on, when she's ready to connect to her own ISP, I'll be ready to explain it to her as well. Thanks all!:)

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Are you sure it'll run on Ubuntu?

From what I can see looking at the website, there isn't any mention of linux at all. The only thing I see at all about supported OS's mentions only windows, so it might not work for you at all.

I see it mentioned that it CAN wipe linux drives, however it looks like it's still a windows program, so it still needs to be run from inside a windows OS.

sashag
April 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Are you sure it'll run on Ubuntu?

From what I can see looking at the website, there isn't any mention of linux at all. The only thing I see at all about supported OS's mentions only windows, so it might not work for you at all.

I see it mentioned that it CAN wipe linux drives, however it looks like it's still a windows program, so it still needs to be run from inside a windows OS.

Is there a 'drivescrubber' program I can get that WILL work with Ubuntu Linux? Since I'm preparing the laptop for my friend, and she needs the Windows XP OS, I need to be able to get rid of the
Ubuntu I have installed on her laptop right now. Thanks!

wannadumpwindows
April 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
All you need to do is use an Ubuntu LiveCD to erase the linux partition.

After that you can resize the windows partition to re-use the leftover space.

You can have a look here:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm

It should give you everything you'd ever want to know.