PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Display keeps turning off

peterno3
April 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
For some reason, by display keeps turning off every 10minutes or so if I don't move the mouse. I have the screen saver turned off, and "turn off display" and "sleep" set to never. I mainly use this computer for watching tv shows online, so it gets kind of annoying to have to nudge my mouse every few minutes to keep the video going. Thanks

Sam Lars
April 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Try using xset to turn off screensaver...

xset -s off

peterno3
April 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I tried this, but it didn't help. I also used xset to turn off energy star settings incase this was the problem, but that didnt do it either.
If it helps, i think the display is turning off, not going to screen saver because my screen turns blue instead of black. Any other suggestions?

Sam Lars
April 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Could the BIOS or maybe monitor have a setting for that?

peterno3
April 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM
No, i don't believe it is either of those. I used to have xp and normal ubuntu before i wiped the drive and installed xubuntu, and it never did it then. I'm pretty sure that means it has to be a setting or software in xubuntu. oh yeah, i have 8.04 if that matters. i've tried upgrading, but for some reason it won't boot on my computer, so i have had to go back to heron.

Another thing i noticed is that this doesn't happen if i am watching videos in mplayer, but it does if im watching a flash video or not doing anything. This must mean that the computer still knows not to turn off the display if a movie is playing, right?

Sam Lars
April 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, mplayer probably has some sort of inhibit feature that keeps it from kicking in.
I did some stuff with Xubuntu a little while ago and was trying to get the screensaver to turn off, and got a little confused about Xscreensaver vs. Gnome screensaver... and xset... any chance there's conflict between the X and Gnome screensavers?

peterno3
April 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah, i guess thats a possibility. I didn't install the screen saver myself, but if it came installed or installed without me knowing that could be causing it. how would i go about trying to disable that one too?

Sam Lars
April 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you just installed Xubuntu, it should be fine. I guess you could try stopping xscreensaver to see if when it's not running your display doesn't shut off.

peterno3
April 28th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I think that fixed it. I uninstalled both grub and xubuntu's screen saver, and it fixed the problem. Thanks