PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Duel booting Vista/Ubuntu, how to get them to see other OS HDD parition

iamkion132
April 23rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
It's been a while since I've had to install two different OSes on the same machine. I have no problem getting a partition working to install Ubuntu but when I've tried installing it in the past, I can't see the Window's partition and when in Vista, I can't see Ubuntu. I would like to keep my Window's partition as that's where I have a lot of my school work and music. Is there a way to do this without having to repartition the HDD or am I SOL here trying to share information across OSes? I would be using the latest release for this.

Partyboi2
April 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
If you don't want to partition the hard drive to install Ubuntu you can use wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) to install ubuntu inside of windows.

iamkion132
April 24th, 2009, 03:35 AM
I have installed Ubuntu now and have managed to find a way to see the files in Windows by mounting it to /Windows. I will be able to find out how to make it permanent so I don't have to do it every time I log onto Ubuntu. However, when I use that option, there are a couple of folders that aren't displayed properly such as Documents and settings. When I access the folder, it shows up blank with no files but it works fine in Vista. I do the full path to the folder that I want seeing maybe if this works but it doesn't. It's these folders that I would like access to the most as this is where I have most of my school work etc.

Edit: I seem to have managed to get Ubuntu to recognize my windows partition and I can access most of the files there but I am still having issues getting into the Documents and settings.