PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from CD

50words
April 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I would prefer to upgrade from CD, since I do not know how long the download will take, and I have work to do. Is there a way to do this?

Mark_in_Hollywood
April 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would prefer to upgrade from CD, since I do not know how long the download will take, and I have work to do. Is there a way to do this?

You betcha!

Get Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

How can you get Ubuntu?

There are now three ways for you to get Ubuntu. Just choose the delivery option that works best for you:

* Download now - Download the Ubuntu, Edubuntu or Kubuntu CD installer to your computer now.

Please note: the CD Installer is nearly 700M. If you don't have a fast internet connection you may want to consider requesting a CD.

* Buy on CD or DVD - Buy a CD or DVD with Ubuntu, Edubuntu or Kubuntu CD, or a large number of CDs from a distributor near you. If you are in North America you can get Ubuntu and Kubuntu on DVD from Amazon.com.

* Request a free CD - Request a free Ubuntu, Edubuntu or Kubuntu CD from Canonical.

o Delivery typically takes 6-10 weeks
o Use each CD as many times as you like - you are free to use it on as many computers as you wish and to pass on to others
o Learn more by visiting the Shipit Questions page.

50words
April 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks, but how do I upgrade from the CD? I do not want to do a clean install.

Laibcoms
April 23rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks, but how do I upgrade from the CD? I do not want to do a clean install.

Download the "Alternate CD" ISO file.
Burn the content of the .iso file.
Boot using the CD.

Should be easy from there ^_^

Of course, back-up your important files first. You never know, sometimes we make mistakes too like mis-clicks... or a power failure while at the middle of the upgrade... or some other reason...

50words
April 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I tried booting from the alternate install disk; there was no option to upgrade the system.

Ticketoride
April 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
I tried booting from the alternate install disk; there was no option to upgrade the system.
Likewise I am not aware of any Version that will repair a current Installation, or what Steps to take, how to go about it.

See here ---> Upgrade to 9.04 (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading)