PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say...

WindowsSurvivor
April 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM
.... Happy Jaunty day, everyone! Enjoy the new distro.

It's like Christmas twice a year for us Ubuntu folks :D

thewolfman
April 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM

I like Ubuntu but are 2 OS updates a year really necessary?.

Could we not just have one major release a year and just have system updates instead updating the complete OS every six months.

I would be happy with that.

But "Happy Jaunty day" anyway.

thewolfman

blackSP
April 23rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Wolfman.

I don't know if 2 updates are necessary but I am very happy with the current release cycle.

I think it's not only a fun process, I'm always anxious to put it on, but also gives you the latest and the greatest desktop, drivers, apps, what have you.

Besides that, I find the upgrading process so simple, so unlike Windows which, in my case, always resulted in a headache and a disk format cause the update process sucks...

WindowsSurvivor
April 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
No, it's not necessary. But that's just the way it is, and I'm grateful for it. I think the Canonical folks enjoy doing it, and I think the Linux community at large is not only used to it, but looks forward to it.

Whether they did it once a year or 10 times a year, I appreciate the work that goes into it. Besides, there's nothing we can do about it...lol

Happy Distro Day

Eisenwinter
April 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Rolling release is the best.

argie
April 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I like Ubuntu but are 2 OS updates a year really necessary?.

Could we not just have one major release a year and just have system updates instead updating the complete OS every six months.

I would be happy with that.

But "Happy Jaunty day" anyway.

thewolfman

Do what I do, update every year.

0per4t0r
April 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I'm trying the live CD versions first before updating. Anway, 8.10 is supported for a while, anyway.

SomeGuyDude
April 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM

Only downside of a rolling release distro, you never get to look forward to new releases.

0per4t0r
April 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. With ubuntu, there's a countdown and everything, but with firefox, you check the mozilla site, and "Oh cool, 3.0.9 is out!"

EDIT: I actually just checked the site, and 3.0.9 was out!! I didn't even know.