PDA

View Full Version : boa or eric for new starter ?

unionjak
January 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
hello,
i am about to begin python and would like to know views on the following ide/rad programms. Eric3 for me is a nice and easy ide, that is good on the eye. Would i be right in saying that it is mainly an editor first and a gui creator, with all the bells and whistles second ?
Then there is boa, that for me is still quite simple but has all the bells and whistles and there for all the distractions for a newbie ? I dont like the fact that boa starts with a few lines of script in the source editer, even before i begin my bit(or is there a way to loose the code ?).
Any idea`s.
ps i am using gui type editors to make it easier for me to make the trasition at a later date, again if this is a no-no please tell me .
Many thanks, unionjak.

noob_Lance
January 6th, 2006, 02:12 PM
i personally like Eric .. you can test your code right there in the program before you even type it into your program... its good... only if your code is small if you have alot of code you want to try... jsut type it in any text editor (gedit, kate, vi, pico, etc...) and then type

python yourfilename.py

in the terminal to run it there and if there are any errors.. it will give em to ya there.

Hope that Helps you.

~Lance

briancurtin
January 6th, 2006, 09:59 PM
i started python on windows a while back and i really wish there was as good of an IDE in linux that ActiveState produces for windows. that really is the best ive dealt with, i love it. however, i dont dual boot or anything so thats actually one of the few things im missing from windows

as for linux, ive used Eric and it has some nice features, but i could really go without probably 80% of the toolbars it displays. debugging in there is nice, and its an all around decent IDE. i have never tried "boa" before but id like to check it out now that you mention it.