PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Popup Notifications in 9.04

docjones2
April 23rd, 2009, 05:50 AM
On the whole I like 9.04, the differences between it and the previous version are subtle but very welcome (ie I can now use WPA encryption because there are no more driever troubles!) except for one. The Popup Notifications.

I hate them.

On the GUI settings application, the section pertaining to the popup notifications does not give the option to disable them.

How do I disable this feature? It is particularly annoying (and compromising to my privacy) when I have pidgin running and every single message I receive is displayed as a popup notification. Pidgin does not offer any GUI options for disabling popup notifications, but this is besides the point, since I just want them to stop completely.

Any good advice?

netJackDaw
April 23rd, 2009, 07:11 AM
I absolutely and totally agree that this new feature must be customizable. So far I am not as fed up with them as you seem to be docjones2. In some cases it is even a matter of privacy to be able to turn them off.

At tip to the distros: do not act as if you know better what your users want than they do themselves.

Add easy reachable settings for notifications and the ability to turn them off.

XeiaieX
April 23rd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have not used JJ yet, but from what I have seen, the notifications appear to resemble that of Growl on OS X. I think I will love them!

docjones2
April 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
At tip to the distros: do not act as if you know better what your users want than they do themselves.

I have seen several instances of devs pompously criticizing users' criticism. I hope this will not happen here... The "Pop-up Notifications" item of the System>Preferences drop down menu was by default hidden on my installation, and when unhidden, it offered no way to disable the feature. This implies that developers know this feature may be unwelcome but for whatever reason want it to be present. I sincerely hope this doesn't become a classic case of the "silly end user doesn't know the first thing about a good desktop environment" response to serious criticism. I can go on this for days, what's really important is...

I just want to know a quick and easy way to disable these notifications. I am open to editing config files or whatever other type of file need be edited, I actually prefer it this way.

Thank you

mcduck
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have not used JJ yet, but from what I have seen, the notifications appear to resemble that of Growl on OS X. I think I will love them!

More like Growl with zero configuration options. :/

Something like Growl would be very nice. What we have now is pretty but gets quite easily very annoying.

x58
April 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
I have notification too, but it not bother me. I had before sound notification, but now it is gone.Anybody know how I can have back sound notification if somebody writes me at Pidgin? Thanks

hesjnet
April 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Do you know if theese notifications also work with other IM client? not just Pidgin. I'm using Emesene.

Ramptu
April 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I had the same gripe about the pidgin pop-ups every time I got IM or someone logged off/on. I got it turned off on my 9.04. I believe I turned off lib notify plugin under tools>plugins> and unchecked libnotify. You could try that.

ninjapirate89
April 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Do you know if theese notifications also work with other IM client? not just Pidgin. I'm using Emesene.

I use Emesene but I haven't had the chance to completely test compatibility with the new notifications. I know that when you get a new email Emesene will show the notification.

Edit -> Actually I think I had to use a plugin to get the notifications to work with it.

Edit2 -> One of my contacts finally signed on and the notifications do work with Emesene when you get a new message.

scottuss
April 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM

Shameless plug: I'm running a poll on my website to see what applications people would like to see have the new notifications. Results will get posted on here, and forwarded to the developers of the projects to suggest that they implement it.

stringarray
April 24th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I want to disable them too, especially for pidgin incoming messages. How do I do it?
:(
:confused:

Dougie187
April 24th, 2009, 01:29 AM
The notifications are a plugin in pidgin. You can turn them off if you want. I think the plugin is called Libnotify or something like that. Just go in there and you can select things that you want to get a notification about. It's not amazingly customizable, but it's not terrible either, especially since it is easy to turn off.

Eemeez
April 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
For I long time I have had a problem with my charger for laptop. It works few seconds (chareges), the stops (and the computer will say, that it's on battery power). After few seconds it charges again (on AC power).

So the problem is, if the power manager is turned on, it will show me a notification in every 2 seconds. It makes impossible to work with system.

At the moment I disabled the power manager, but I would like to be able to see, how much battery I have left, so it would be better, if I could change the settings for notifications. e.g what to show and what not.

wynneth
April 24th, 2009, 09:50 AM
How do I disable this feature? It is particularly annoying (and compromising to my privacy) when I have pidgin running and every single message I receive is displayed as a popup notification. Pidgin does not offer any GUI options for disabling popup notifications, but this is besides the point, since I just want them to stop completely.

Any good advice?

Judging by my experience, it would seem that if you want to disable the new notifications you simply need to remove the notify-osd package. For some reason I didn't get the package by default on upgrade and still had notification-daemon so I was still seeing the old notifications. I have some opposite results on my end tho, as pidgin doesn't show ANY notifications via the ubuntu notify. LOL.

Judgegeo
April 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM
For I long time I have had a problem with my charger for laptop. It works few seconds (chareges), the stops (and the computer will say, that it's on battery power). After few seconds it charges again (on AC power).

So the problem is, if the power manager is turned on, it will show me a notification in every 2 seconds. It makes impossible to work with system.

At the moment I disabled the power manager, but I would like to be able to see, how much battery I have left, so it would be better, if I could change the settings for notifications. e.g what to show and what not.

How about using Conky to display remaining battery? =)

Eemeez
April 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM
How about using Conky to display remaining battery? =)
Thanks. I think I will add it to Conky.

Judgegeo
April 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks. I think I will add it to Conky.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7091994&postcount=6557

Nice little script for battery =).

Eemeez
April 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Can somebody suggest, how can I get rid of the power manager. I removed it from startup menu, but it comes back in certain times. For example, if I hit the VLC to full screen, again the power manager is on, and the notifications start to blink.

xienoph
April 27th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I don't mind the notification ... as long as they're at the bottom right corner of the screen.

Right now it's at the top right of the screen. I tried using System > Preference > Pop-Up Notification to change the position to bottom right, and it turns out that it's already set to Bottom Right. Changing the position to any of the other corners don't seem to do anything, based on the Preview. Am I missing something here? Why isn't it changing position?

hobophobik
April 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I don't seem to be able to see "Pop-Up Notification" in my system preferences menu, and there is no option to show it in when using "Edit Menu".

How do I make this visible?

oweise
April 28th, 2009, 10:40 AM
The menu item seems to be hidden in preferences by default. You can make it visible by editing your panel menu (Right-Click on Menu->Edit menu).

It has exactly two settings (roughly translated from german):
- display style ("ubuntu" and "standard")
- position

None of them seem to have any impact. I get the same black notfications in the top right corner no matter what I set here.

I strongly appreciate a centralized notification system in ubuntu, but agree that it definitely needs more customization options to be well accepted. Growl is a good orientation for what a powerful notification system can offer.

handle1790
May 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I had the same gripe about the pidgin pop-ups every time I got IM or someone logged off/on. I got it turned off on my 9.04. I believe I turned off lib notify plugin under tools>plugins> and unchecked libnotify. You could try that.

That worked! Thanks!

:popcorn:

jaburr
May 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the plugins/"libnotify popups" tip -- I was annoyed by the Pidgin popups too.

JB

kozian
June 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I have a new 9.04 installation.
Seems like notify-osd makes this awesome notifications, but "pop-up notifications" in Administration menu is a "notification-daemon" feature

What to do:
Uninstall notify-osd, Install notification-daemon if not and kill notify-osd.

Now i'm using "old school" notifications on 9.04 :p

alexxroche
December 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
> The Popup Notifications.I hate them.

I don't hate them, but I would like to be able to turn them off. The Popup config has theme and location but no, "don't bother using up CPU and slowing gnome down with this thing."

Even better would be per-application, (i.e. I don't need an alert for volume control but I might not mind so much for rhythmbox.

alexx

alexxroche
December 23rd, 2009, 08:57 PM
# I tried
killall notification-daemon
ps auwxf|grep notification-daemon|grep -v grep # to see if it was still running
#[
killall -9 notification-daemon
#or
kill -9 $(ps ux|grep notification-daemon |grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}')
# for those really stubborn processes (try without -9 first!)
#]
#and when that seemed to work I did
sudo apt-get -y remove notification-daemon
#and I also did
sudo apt-get -y remove notify-osd pidgin-libnotify # but I don't think that last one is needed