PDA

View Full Version : Is learning pascal of any use anymore(other than fun)?

Jiraiya_sama
April 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
program Thread;
begin
WriteLn('See Title -^');
end.

amingv
April 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
Sure, you can learn many things and pascal derivatives such as delphi are still used by some (even in some open source projects like the P2P program "Ares").
Not one of the most popular languages nowadays, but you'll learn a lot more than in BASIC, that's for sure.

Kilon
April 23rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
program Thread;
begin
WriteLn('See Title -^');
end.

ABSOLUTELY ... DELPHI has moved mainly to .NET from now on, so that means it can use the .NET libraries directly, but it is not yet supported by mono. I think it is only a matter of time to be supported by mono.

The big news is that lazarus and freepascal is live and kicking and there many many libraries out there for this wonderful language.

Should I include the fact that DELPHI and lazarus can integrate python as well with zero coding !!!! What more you need for an excuse ?

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-July/566270.html

http://mmm-experts.com/VersionHistory.aspx?ProductId=3

http://mmm-experts.com/Products.aspx?ProductId=3

Jiraiya_sama
April 23rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hmm, not too excited about .net compat but python integration and loads of libraries sounds great.

A quick question though, I got this free book from the computer lab on turbo pascal that's copyright 1998 by addison-wesley. It's got some pictures of a laptop with a floppy disk. Should I bother learning pascal from it or should I just find something more delphi centered?

Kilon
April 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Hmm, not too excited about .net

You should be as .NET is nothing more than a clone of VLC of DELPHI. As a matter of fact it is made from the same developer who left Borland and went to Microsoft. I have been coding with delphi for many years, moving to .net was a breeze.

Also learning .NET will give you access to a wealth of programming languages C#,ironpython,VB.NET, Delphin .NET, J# and F# and it is a very good frameworks if not the best. And of course the .NET libraries are one of the largest and most powerful.

for compat but python integration and loads of libraries sounds great.

oh yes it is a huge advantage to able to use python directly with no extra hassle and of course python has huge amount of libraries. Now include the fact that DELPHI can warp C++ libraries very nicely and has an in line Assembler you are spoiled for choices really and it is a highly viable solution.

A quick question though, I got this free book from the computer lab on turbo pascal that's copyright 1998 by addison-wesley. It's got some pictures of a laptop with a floppy disk. Should I bother learning pascal from it or should I just find something more delphi centered?

Well programming languages do change and of course there are some differences between old pascal, freepascal and Delphi . But it would be waste to throw/ ignore such a book as these differences are minority and easily discoverable.

But learning the language is not so difficult or time consuming, learning the libraries is a lot more time consuming.

For C++ my favourite is a book about BORLAND TURBO C++ in 1995 . By the way worth mentioning that I never used TURBO C++ only VISUAL C++. I think you can get my point.

What counts it that the book is well written and give you an easy time learning. Missing some features is no issue as there are millions of tutorials in the internet for anything you need.

Remember the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself. And of course always give back to the community. Never hide your code.

wmcbrine
April 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
I say no, unless there's some specific, old code that you want to work with. I wouldn't develop new code in Pascal.

doas777
April 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I will say this for .Net. I get calls from headhunters looking for my .Net skills every month or so.

what more need be said?

JK3mp
April 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Python iz my shizz!?!?!! :p

khelben1979
April 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
No, I don't think so.