PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinking about an upgrade...

karasuman
April 23rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
I'm currently running Hardy on a relatively new Dell Inspiron with only a few problems. I started out with Gutsy, made the upgrade, ironed out the major problems, and I've been happy with Hardy since then.

The question: should I stick with the LTS release, or make the move to Intrepid or--gasp--Jaunty, when it's available? The only issues I have right now are that things that require my password, like update manager, sometimes forget to ask me for it and just hang indefinitely; sometimes right-clicking ends up doing random things; compiz settings don't always take effect without a restart. But when I first upgraded, I lost sound and had a few other major issues.

Should I upgrade? Will the upgrade affect the programs I'm currently running? Just anything in particular jump out at you as a plus or minus to going through with the upgrade?

tommcd
April 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I always do a clean install rather than a dist-upgrade. You will have a better chance of avoiding the kinds of problems you experienced when upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04. This is just my preference though. However, I would hesitate to do a dist-upgrade if you are already having problems with Hardy.

You could just download and boot up a live CD of Intrepid or Jaunty and try it out. If it works ok, then go for it.

There will likely be newer (and quite possibly even better) versions of the programs you currently use in Intrepid and Jaunty.

It is of course your decision though. Hardy will be supported for a few years.