PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I set up webmin to be accessible from internet?

cmwslw
April 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM
The title pretty much says it all. I can use webmin through LAN, but I would like to be able to access it from any computer. (password protected of course)!

-Cory Walker

Yashiro
April 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Don't.

If you must run webmin, access the server using SSH and run it over that.

juancarlospaco
April 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Yes you can.

kustomjs
April 23rd, 2009, 04:41 AM
if you trust it yes you can do it all you have to do is do port forwarding on your router. like say ip address 254.65.142.55:10000 just make sure you port 10000 in your router or whatever you using.

spynappels
April 23rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Don't.

If you must run webmin, access the server using SSH and run it over that.

Just out of interest, how would you do that? I'm a little hazy on running other programs or services through SSH, am ok with using CLI on SSH.

cmwslw
April 23rd, 2009, 01:17 PM
if you trust it yes you can do it all you have to do is do port forwarding on your router. like say ip address 254.65.142.55:10000 just make sure you port 10000 in your router or whatever you using.

Thank, you. That's what I needed. I will only forward the port when I need remote access. Any advice on how to make it more secure when I forward the port, or is the password sufficient? Also, is webmin served by apache? I imagine it's not since there would be problems restarting and the port would be 80.

In addition, can I ssh when I'm not connected through a LAN?

spynappels
April 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
You can make the setup a little more secure by using a non standard port picked at random such as 52482 and forwarding that to port 10000 on the local server. This can be set up in your router normally and will avoid having a "standard Webmin" port number showing as open if you are scanned.

Dont forget to use the https:// when you access it from the outside world, using non standard ports can confuse your browser.

PS It does use Apache, it sets up a virtual server using https on port 10000. You can have more than one website being served by Apache at any one time on different ports or using different domains.

bigbearomaha
April 23rd, 2009, 02:37 PM
changing the ports removes it from view of the script kiddies, primarily. it's akin to keeping the front door shut and using the side or back door instead.

Almost anytime you are accessing a server for configuration or admin purposes over the web, you should definitely use ssh and then forward the port to your local machine. You can also arrange to use ssl keys instead of password to access Webmin.

there are a few steps you can take to access Webmin over the web if you find it necessary.

Big Bear

spynappels
April 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
That's why I said a "Little" more secure......

Could you give me some info on using a SSH tunnel? That would appear to be the safest option, as you would not need to allow remote config on your router to open ports when required? port 22 could be disguised, I presume...

bigbearomaha
April 23rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
http://pclosbe.org/mwiki/index.php?title=The_SSH_VPN#Setting_up_the_connect ion

That article may be helpful in setting up an ssh tunnel to webmin.

Big Bear

kustomjs
April 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
well a other thing you can do is you dont have to do port forwarding just setup vpn if you want to do remote login if your not at home. then once your connected to your network then you can use putty to access your internet servers and stuff.