PDA

View Full Version : Unifying Linux . . . a small step

Shpongle
April 23rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
I was just thinking that if all the linux distro forums had links to the other ones on their sites then it would help us grow more closely as a community, this community would serve as a fine example, imagine it on the mass scale , not all issues are ubuntu specific so why limit ourselves to the access of help, imagine a single forum with every linux user , you couldnt beat that support!! it would be massive, a new release would be stripped apart by users and bugs would be found much quicker and fixed also it would improve relations between the various distro fanbases and integration and help drive community projects, one registration on one forum could serve for all,

any way its just an idea, it would help on all levels like if we had the links and logos displayed here on our forum, it would also educate new linux users about other distros other than the ones that brought them to linux in the first place,

id like to hear you opinions on this

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
All distros are different. They have different philosophies, and different ways of doing things. A command that works for Ubuntu won't necessarily work in another distro.

Skripka
April 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM
A single domain/forum for all linux users would likely be impossible due to server demands. UF has had big problems lately regarding query traffic due to to many folks overloading too few servers....and this is for a site that is predminantly Ubuntu.

Of course....If Ubuntu went to a Wiki based documentation--instead of databasing and querying all 500,000 threads on how to install the ATi/Nvidia and wireless drivers--that would probably solve most of their problems of query overload.

Shpongle
April 23rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
i know there are differences and such but lets say kernal issues for example , or a general shell command, even if we all use our own forums but find a way to integrate them, like at the end of the day , a ubuntu user can always learn something from a fedora user and vice versa , like we all try help each other , so it would serve all our interests better to be able to have more people to help, and spark ideas , discussions ect,

id try any distro , out of curiosity, especially a new release , to see its progression . . im sure there's many others too, this would greatly improve linux releases in general.

i realise it wouldnt fit on a single server , that would be ridiculous,

say in each forum had a single home page and the each distro specific category was its own forum on its own server as it is now, eg when clicking the ubuntu link you would be redirected here, and provide the links to go back, and have a general login across all the sites

swoll1980
April 23rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
i know there are differences and such but lets say kernal issues for example , or a general shell command, even if we all use our own forums but find a way to integrate them, like at the end of the day , a ubuntu user can always learn something from a fedora user and vice versa , like we all try help each other , so it would serve all our interests better to be able to have more people to help, and spark ideas , discussions ect,

id try any distro , out of curiosity, especially a new release , to see its progression . . im sure there's many others too, this would greatly improve linux releases in general.

i realise it wouldnt fit on a single server , that would be ridiculous,

say in each forum had a single home page and the each distro specific category was its own forum on its own server as it is now, eg when clicking the ubuntu link you would be redirected here, and provide the links to go back, and have a general login across all the sites

I see what your saying. You could start a web page like this tomorrow if you wanted to too.(and if you know how of course)

northwestuntu
April 23rd, 2009, 03:13 AM
it's a good idea, but doubt it would ever happen.

fatality_uk
April 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
"id like to hear you opinions on this"

Terrible idea! One of the cores of Linux is choice. I want the freedom to be able to use the applications I want with the WM I want and tweak the kernel to suits my needs. A commitee of the great and the good of Linux would assume what I need and assuming that Linux stayed OpenSource, it would be forked by the likes of, well ME to get the Linux I want!

billgoldberg
April 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I was just thinking that if all the linux distro forums had links to the other ones on their sites then it would help us grow more closely as a community, this community would serve as a fine example, imagine it on the mass scale , not all issues are ubuntu specific so why limit ourselves to the access of help, imagine a single forum with every linux user , you couldnt beat that support!! it would be massive, a new release would be stripped apart by users and bugs would be found much quicker and fixed also it would improve relations between the various distro fanbases and integration and help drive community projects, one registration on one forum could serve for all,

any way its just an idea, it would help on all levels like if we had the links and logos displayed here on our forum, it would also educate new linux users about other distros other than the ones that brought them to linux in the first place,

id like to hear you opinions on this

Not realistic.

Also it would actually be bad to the community I think.