PDA

View Full Version : Green Computing

miningold
April 23rd, 2009, 12:42 AM
I was wondering if there was something green for my computer to do. Something along the lines of maybe fah but has a green effect on the world. It would also have to have more benefits that the negatives of leaving the computer on.

I KNOW that turning my computer off (and the power strip) is greener than leaving it on but i was wondering if there anything that it could do that would offset my computer usage.

Thank You

northwestuntu
April 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
i just bought a green wd 1tb drive. i guess that's suppose to save some juice?

0per4t0r
April 23rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
turn off your screensaver, and set it to turn the monitor off, turn the computer off, go into hibernate, turn off your hard drive, dim the screen, go into suspend, paint your computer green, unplug it when not in use, get a green battery.
although, I prefer orange computing.

miningold
April 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
turn off your screensaver, and set it to turn the monitor off, turn the computer off, go into hibernate, turn off your hard drive, dim the screen, go into suspend, paint your computer green, unplug it when not in use, get a green battery.
although, I prefer orange computing.

I know all of that stuff and i actively do it but what i was more looking for was something along the lines of distributed processing (like folding@home) but for a green cause.

I do not want to lessen the carbon footprint i want to effectively erase it (without having to keep the computer off all the time).

rucadulu
April 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Turn off the computer when not in use, that is about as green as it gets.

smartboyathome
April 23rd, 2009, 01:21 AM
I know all of that stuff and i actively do it but what i was more looking for was something along the lines of distributed processing (like folding@home) but for a green cause.

I do not want to lessen the carbon footprint i want to effectively erase it (without having to keep the computer off all the time).

There is no way to do this. If you distribute the computing power, you are just having more computers use power, as each computer takes extra power to be on (besides running folding@home). Best you can get, as stated previously, is turning your computers off and not being lazy. ;)

miningold
April 23rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
There is no way to do this. If you distribute the computing power, you are just having more computers use power, as each computer takes extra power to be on (besides running folding@home). Best you can get, as stated previously, is turning your computers off and not being lazy. ;)

I am not trying to be lazy i just wish there was a way to lessen my carbon footprint using my computer.

Namtabmai
April 23rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
The only real way is to look into renewable energy sources for powering your computer.
There are home alternatives, solar panels etc, but personally I have my doubt about how green they really are.

I've switched my home energy plan over to a green alternative, where 100% of my electrical energy is offset against renewable sources, and of course I pay extra for this. But as I mentioned before, I still doubt how green things like this really are, they're better than the alternative but there is nothing greener than not using electricity at all.

miningold
April 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Maybe I am not being very clear.

I want my computer to do something green, not power it with green energy or lessen it's energy uses. I want to use the computing power to do something green.

I do not know if this exists, but if it does please let me know.

northwestuntu
April 23rd, 2009, 01:48 AM
:confused:

-Phi-
April 23rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
There's a list of BOINC projects here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php I think the closest to a "green" project would be Climateprediction. As well, World Community Grid is doing research into new energy sources, so that would count too.

- Phi

miningold
April 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
There's a list of BOINC projects here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php I think the closest to a "green" project would be Climateprediction. As well, World Community Grid is doing research into new energy sources, so that would count too.

- Phi

Finally a promising response, thank you. World Community Grid looks very promising for what I was looking for. I am going to give that a try, again thank you.

MikeTheC
April 23rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Turn your computer off and use a pen and a piece of paper. It's recyclable and consumes no electricity when used.