PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do i do a fresh install for Jaunty?

jimmyboy09
April 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
I currently running Intrepid on a dual boot with xp. With Jaunty coming out tomorrow I was planning on just upgrading from synaptic.

But after seeing some threads here I think I'll go ahead and do a fresh install. Problem is, I'm kinda lost about what I should do next.

How do I make this a relatively easy transition? Backing up data is easy, but how can I do a fresh install without having to re-install all my apps and reconfiguring all my settings? Or do people do fresh installs precisely to get rid of those things that are cluttering their pc's?

Let's assume that I have a live cd and I want to keep my xp partition. Where do I go from there?

Thanks in advance.

5nak3
April 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi there, I will not try to answer your question fully as I have asked a very similar question a bit further up.

However it may be of interest to you that from what I understand (don't take my word for it as I too am as lost as you are), if you have your /home folder/partition separate to the rest of the install you should be able to upgrade with everything intact.

As I said do not take my word for this, but personally, I did an upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 via synaptic, that was a mess. The install went well and everything was as it should have been, but then little problems were cropping up here and there.

In the end I did a complete fresh install which many people advise in any case.