PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No "try Ubuntu without changes..Windows" option not there?

McCallister
April 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and to anything linux for that matter. I have been pounding my brain full of information on how to go about installing and setting up a simple linux server. No real need to, but I just want to learn how to do it. I know it'll take me a long while.

Here is my question. I just downloaded Ubuntu 8.10(server Ed. in 32 bit). I burned the image of ISO file to CD using Imgburn. Loaded the CD into my drive and restarted my computer which is Windos XP Home(32 bit OS). The Ubuntu screen pops up as it should, but I do not have the option to "try Ubuntu without making changes to windows"? I show all the other options at this point.

I want to be able to just browse Ubuntu before I even attempt installing since I have yet to figure out if I want to use my PC(the xp one) or get another cheap pc for just the server. Not to mention a lot more reading!

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
The server edition doesn't even come with a GUI if I remember correctly, so you can't get a LiveCD experience with it. If you can even *see* the installer, then you know the kernel and text mode stuff is working :). You could burn a Desktop LiveCD and try that if you want.

abn91c
April 22nd, 2009, 05:49 PM
+1, you need the 32bit desktop edition for a live cd from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download