PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] automatically back up mysql database

jeff00z28
April 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have some databases on mysql that I want to backup to my windows machine automatically at night. Right now im just using phpmyadmins interface or running sql dump commands. I want to export it automatically, then configure a batch script on the windows machine to pull it off the samba share. Any help appreciated.

sonicb00m
April 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
there's a free linux script called autobackupmysql, i think.

You can dump them locally and use an ftp script to transfer the results. you can also backup remote databases with it.

I run my own batch file that dumps the db then uses scp to transfer the db via sftp.

tornadof3
April 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
So look at running the following command on your MySQL machine by using a cron job at your specified time:

mysquldump DATABASE -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD > /path/to/samba/share/filename.sql

That will put the backup file in your samba share. Then you need to have a batch file that runs on your windows machine to input the data into your backup MySQL machine, eg:

mysql DATABASE -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD < N:\path\filename.sql

assuming your SAMBA share is mounted as N:\ on your windows machine.

Does that answer your problem?

jeff00z28
April 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
So look at running the following command on your MySQL machine by using a cron job at your specified time:

mysquldump DATABASE -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD > /path/to/samba/share/filename.sql

That will put the backup file in your samba share. Then you need to have a batch file that runs on your windows machine to input the data into your backup MySQL machine, eg:

mysql DATABASE -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD < N:\path\filename.sql

assuming your SAMBA share is mounted as N:\ on your windows machine.

Does that answer your problem?

it answers my problem, but the cron isn't working (first time using cron)

i have it set as

# m h dom mon dow command
06 16 * * * mysqldump mysql -u root -pbob > /home/bob/Desktop/test.sql

the command works when pasted, but for some reason automating isn't working. thanks!

jeff00z28
April 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
nevermind i got it to work. thanks