PDA

View Full Version : I need the easiest commercial Linux distro. Pls inform.

icett
April 22nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I need a commercial Linux distro which is as easy as Windows or OS X in terms of installing softwares in it as well as the other difficult functions. I am willing to pay as much as its price but I need a Linux distro and please dont tell me to go use Windows or OS X. Any suggestions?:(

Maheriano
April 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
There aren't any commercial versions.

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Wow, well what are you going to be using this system for? If you are planning on paying, why Linux?

Red Hat makes a very good commercial distro, but it doesn't sound like you really know what you want.

notwen
April 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
SLED (http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/) comes to mind..

RHEL (http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/) also comes to mind..

itopsis
April 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
mmm why do you want a commerical distro? do you want like special support or smth? if you only need for general/desktop usage Ubuntu is great, it works well and its free! and also this forum is great for support or questions

RiceMonster
April 22nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Try Linux Mint, it's free.

miegiel
April 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
I need a commercial Linux distro which is as easy as Windows or OS X in terms of installing softwares in it as well as the other difficult functions. I am willing to pay as much as its price but I need a Linux distro and please dont tell me to go use Windows or OS X. Any suggestions?:(

I suggest you install Ubuntu and then Kubuntu and then as many other distro's as you like. According to popular opinion Ubuntu is the best entry linux if you have no linux/unix experience, but don't take anyones word for it. You can download and install them all for free and decide for yourself which fits your needs best.

Since forums are the main source of support for linux, you also should compare the forums of different distro's. In some distro's forums they seem to hate noobs and just ignore "stupid" questions. While in others people are welcomed with open arms, regardless of their (lack of) expertise and their "stupid" questions.

wersdaluv
April 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
You could buy Ubuntu support from Canonical https://shop.canonical.com/support.php

snowpine
April 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
+1; Ubuntu is one of the friendliest/easiest Linux distros. Ubuntu itself is free, but you can purchase paid support from Canonical (if you are not satisfied with the free support on these forums).

perfectska04
April 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
+1 for Ubuntu.

I switched from Windows to Feisty Fawn with absolutely no previous Linux experience, and it took me at most two weeks to get used to everything.

My mom's computer also has Ubuntu, and she had never used a computer before that. It's localized to her native language, it's intuitive and has all the software she would need.

You can always buy support from Canonical, or simply use these forums, which are extremely helpful.

JK3mp
April 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Ubuntu is the easiest distro for begginers especially on laptops since a great uproar in wireless support in the latest releases. Red Hat / Fedora and Suse are about as "commercial" as they get. Well supported and updated.

Martje_001
April 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Try Ubuntu + commercial support or (sorry, I just have to) MAC OS.

Twitch6000
April 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
The only commercial Linux Distro that I ever thought was worth using would be Linspire...

Now that it is bought out though... I would suggest using Linux Mint or PClinuxOS.

adamlau
April 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Ubuntu + Canonical commercial support.

Therion
April 22nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Has anyone suggested Ubuntu with paid, commercial support?

juancarlospaco
April 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Ubuntu + commercial support 24x7x365 + System76 PCs

shadylookin
April 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
what do you want it for and why do you want to pay for it?

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
If you want a commercial offering with the support the first that comes to mind Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, SLED 11 was just released and it is a fine desktop. Novell additionally provides some of the high quality support in the business (second only to Red Hat in my experience).

You can also get paid support for Ubuntu if you like that (considering that you are posting here I will assume you do). If you fancy some stability through deployment time, the LTS releases are probably a good option.

Finally Red Hat Enterprise Linux is a very polished product, they just released 5.3 with major updates. Additionally 6.0 is in the pipeline and will be built ontop of Fedora 11 meaning you get very fresh software with all the modern trimmings such as PackageKit and other goodies. The upgrade paths are nearly always very smooth and well tested.

A problem for all commercial distros is codec support, you can either buy this support from a company like Fluendo or install it from rpmfusion (RHEL) or packman (SLED) if you are legally allowed to do so of course.

chrisinspace
April 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Ubuntu + Canonical commercial support.

Yup yup! This is the path I would choose. You can even buy the disk at Amazon.com for under $20 and it comes with unlimited support for 60 days.

http://www.amazon.com/ValuSoft-71685-Ubuntu-Linux/dp/B0018KAN9E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1240419543&sr=1-2

(I'm guessing that since 9.04 doesn't come out for a couple more days, this link is for 8.10. You might want to wait until they get the 9.04 disks if you want the most recent version.)

SomeGuyDude
April 22nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
You want to pay for a Linux distro that's built like Windows or OSX.

Why do you want Linux at all? It doesn't sound to me like you really have any need to avoid OSX or Windows.

Dragonbite
April 22nd, 2009, 06:18 PM

Big 3 commercial;

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (stronger server showing, weaker desktop showing)
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise(strong server showing, strong desktop showing, basically second place in both categories)
Canonical-supported Ubuntu("OK" server showing, stronger desktop showing)

Here are three questions to help focus:
What is your goal (server? replace desktops? remote management? field laptops?)
What is your current experience level (or level of the person who will be maintaining and supporting this system)?
How much are you or this person willing to learn?

No sense going with Linux if the support person is a die-hard Windows person who does not have any experience and is unwilling to learn.

No sense in going with Linux if it has to be up-and-running by this Friday and nobody has experience with it.

SomeGuyDude
April 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Linux isn't some sorta miracle OS that's exactly what everyone wants and needs. If you've got a person who has no problem paying for the system and has grown so accustomed to its functionality that they don't want to learn a new method... let 'em stick with it. It's not like Windows is gonna give you cancer or something. It's perfectly all right that someone wants to stick with it.

Bölvağur
April 22nd, 2009, 07:03 PM
I need a commercial Linux distro which is as easy as Windows or OS X in terms of installing softwares in it as well as the other difficult functions.

(easy to install software? do I smell a flame bait or what?)

Install:
Ubuntu shines in this department.

Configure:
Suse

Experience:
Red hat

I would suggest to you to try out opensuse first and then ubuntu. I was amazed by opensuse when I tried it but it isn't my cup of boiled water. when you try opensuse it gives you an idea what Novell's desktop edition would handle.
When you have eveluated ubuntu and opensuse try Fedora (as it gives you the idea where Redhat is heading).

I would not be supriced if you would go with the big red N (novell)

http://vavai.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/novell-suse.jpg

mamamia88
April 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM
ubuntu is about as easy as it gets