PDA

View Full Version : windows command line problem

christoforever
April 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm writing an IDE in java for ruby programming. The problem comes when it's time to execute the ruby program... Doing this on ubuntu( and/or any other linux variant) is a piece of cake... Windows seems to be the problem here. I'm trying to specify the absolute path name for ruby and the file name to pass it... however it's not working that easily. This is what I'm trying to do on windows...

C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe C:\Documents And Settings\cdancy\Desktop\test.rb

then it gives the error that C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command. I have no idea what to do and their are no windows forums that i know of, So i've come here for answers if anyone knows?

Sincerely,
Chris Dancy

MadCow108
April 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
the quotes for the path containing spaces are missing in what you wrote.
C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe "C:\Documents And Settings\cdancy\Desktop\test.rb"

Darryl Moore
April 22nd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Missing quotes would not explain why he is getting the message "C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command"

I'd say the the OS cannot find ruby.exe. It's a dumb question, but are you sure that the directory "C:\ruby\bin\" exists?

christoforever
April 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
To darryl and Madcow... putting the file argument in quotes actually worked... which is odd. By any chance you guys would not happen to know how to keep the windows command prompt open after the program exits? Im looking for something similar to how xterm does...

xterm -hold -e <some program> <some file>

doas777
April 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
To darryl and Madcow... putting the file argument in quotes actually worked... which is odd. By any chance you guys would not happen to know how to keep the windows command prompt open after the program exits? Im looking for something similar to how xterm does...

xterm -hold -e <some program> <some file>

in dos, you would use "Pause". the user will see "Press any key to continue". if it is the last line in your bat, then the prompt will close.

I would execute from a batch, and put the pause command at the bottom.

christoforever
April 22nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, I have heard of batch files( which i assume is like a shell script ), but I've not used windows as an operating system on a day to day basis in over 6 years. The only reason I'm writing this program to include windows is for not alienating the potential amount of users who may be using the program and for the sake of completeness as a java application. So.... DAMN WINDOWS!!!!