PDA

View Full Version : Donate $20 to Canonical

johanan
April 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have been running Ubuntu since 8.10 (I had been running Debian testing first then unstable for about 4 years before that). I have upgraded my 4 installs to 9.04 Release Candidate and I love how easy and smooth Canonical makes Ubuntu.

Because of this I have donated $20 to Canonical. It only works out to be $5 per install, but I plan to donate $20 on every release hereafter. I feel that Ubuntu is well worth $40 a year. I know my donation doesn't make a big difference, but if there is a core group that will donate on every release we can make Canonical self sufficient.

Donate here: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/donations

Reply if you donate as well. :)

KhaaL
April 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
your donation does make a big difference :) Thanks for donating, I have only donated once to ubuntu but I try to donate at least once to every FOSS that I've used and been useful to me.

I've donated more money to FOSS than I've spent money buying copyrighted stuff... Phew!

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
if everyone donated even $2, developers would have no problems with money. please donate to your favorite project! i'm going to.

XubuRoxMySox
April 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
If purchases of Ubuntu "wearables" and gadgets and gizmos like the USB flash drive and hats and stuff count, that's how I have supported it up til now... but when times are better financially, I'll do more. It's the least I can do!

I hope Canonical makes a bit of a profit from the sale of those li'l gadgets and teeshirts and stuff. That's another way to say thanks.

-Robin

juancarlospaco
April 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
I don't use Credit Card, i use cash for work reasons, can't donate,
in the past i want to donate to Gimp, via Wire Transfer, but local Banks says thats not possible.
i want to buy something in Canonical's shop, but the same here...

BTW 1U$S=3,5$ arg.
From Argentina.

NJC
April 22nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for posting this. Ubuntu is an excellent work in progress and deserves support.

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
No thanks. Shuttleworth is the one with all the money. It would seem silly for me to help him out financially.

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I love open source, but I can think of a dozen charities I'd rather give my money to. For example St. Jude's Children's Hospital, the Red Cross or the Humane Society. These are where I spend my limited donations.

If I were to give to an open source project, I'd rather give to a true community project such as Gnome over a group like Canonical that is run by a millionaire and is trying to make a profit.

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I love open source, but I can think of a dozen charities I'd rather give my money to. For example St. Jude's Children's Hospital, the Red Cross or the Humane Society. These are where I spend my limited donations.

If I were to give to an open source project, I'd rather give to a true community project such as Gnome over a group like Canonical that is run by a millionaire and is trying to make a profit.

+1 the Salvation Army, Red Cross, and United Way, are the ones that get what little I can give.

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I don't use Credit Card, i use cash for work reasons, can't donate,
in the past i want to donate to Gimp, via Wire Transfer, but local Banks says thats not possible.
i want to buy something in Canonical's shop, but the same here...

BTW 1U$S=3,5$ arg.
From Argentina.

you should be able to purchase a pre-paid credit card to do this. i know they are widely available in the US anyway.

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2009, 08:03 PM
I often donate to Free Software projects and conferences (to allow them to pay for volunteers to be flown in when there aren't company support to do so).

However in the case of Ubuntu, I think my efforts debugging (and hopefully soon packaging software) will be donation enough.

drawkcab
April 22nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am going to pick a few things up from the store this time around. That puts a few bucks in their pocket, raises awareness of ubuntu and linux in general (I have 200+ students/semester) and gets me a snazzy sweatshirt or t-shirt.

bakedbeans4life
April 22nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Sorry, I'm donating all my money to Microsoft. It looks like Windows 8 might just be the one...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/21/windows_8_file_storage/

speedwell68
April 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
I bought a Shirt and a Hoody from the Ubuntu store.

happysmileman
April 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Canonical are a for-profit business.
I won't "donate" to them any more than I'd donate to any other software company.

I'd probably give some money to the Amarok developers if I was able (either financially or had means to donate over the internet), the difference being that they're not trying to make a profit or sell me anything.
And if I ever met the developers of any of the KDE apps I use I'd probably offer to buy them a beer or something.

darrenn
April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
I have donated to the forums in the past.

drawkcab
April 22nd, 2009, 11:05 PM
just ordered my chocolate zip-down hoody

aeiah
April 22nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
as has been mentioned, they're a for-profit company. and although i admire mark shuttleworth's vision and some of the ubuntu initiatives, im always slightly uncomfortable with people who have amassed as much wealth as he has.

id rather donate to amnesty or the red cross, and send a fiver to applications or projects i use regularly or like.

Sealbhach
April 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm donating something to Canonical, to show my appreciation. I don't think I could have got into Linux without Ubuntu.

inobe
April 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
they will get donations from me, i don't care if they have more money or less, the point is we all have to chip in one way or another.

use their bandwidth to download
use their products
their products get shipped free of charge
media for this os isn't free
forum support, without that thousands would be lost.

it's the rite thing to do.

some_random_noob
April 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
Unfortunately I'm wasting all my money right now, and I've donated to other things. But yes as a general rule it is good to donate to FOSS projects. Think beyond Ubuntu though. Consider donating to these:

The Free Software Foundation (they are great at lobbying and taking action to defend your rights).
Gnome (It's an excellent project which will be around for ages).
KDE (Depending if you like it).
SourceForge (They host numerous open source projects - many of which are small and cross platform).
Any other small thing which has helped you at some point in time (OpenOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, Abiword)