PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating GDM log in screen issue

David C.
April 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
So I'm trying figure out what I did wrong here.

I took an existing GDM log in file, downloaded one from art.gnome.org cracked it open and began my exploration.

The goal is to create my own log in screen using a different .jpeg that I pulled from the web. I switched out the jpeg file with my own, renamed the xml file, only changing height="0"/ in the pixmap, it was previously set at "100%". I did this per the HowTo from gnome's site. I kept the icon .png files as is, I'll change them later. For now, I'm only looking to experiment and learn. I rewrote the GdmGreeterTheme, saving that with a .desktop file extension. Created the tar.gz file and installed it into the Login Window.

The error -- The image, within the Login Preference/Local, I installed doesn't show; it is a default image and beneath the theme title is "null"

I ran xnest to pull it up and got a default Gnome log-in screen, not the same Ubuntu brown that was in Local. I can't figure what I did or didn't do. I recreated the .desktop file as follows:

[GdmGreeterTheme]
Greeter=Alien.xml
Name=Alien
Description=Alien

I didn't include the author, copyright or screenshot, since this is for practice and personal use, and I won't be posting it to any site. And per the HowTo, I was to take the screenshot from the xnest window and bring the screenshot into Gimp to reduce the size. I suppose once that was done, then I was to add it to the file and rezip it. Though I would need to redo the .desktop. I don't know if Screenshot=Alien.jpg in the .desktop file or not would be a cause.

I've attached a screen shot of the Log In Preference and xnest window so you can see what I'm getting.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

David C.
April 23rd, 2009, 04:00 AM
Shamless bump, still looking for assistance. Thank you.

David C.
April 24th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Hello? Is this thing on *taps screen* Hello? Can any one help?