PDA

View Full Version : What is it with vague questions and beating dead horses?

samjh
April 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
I had a bit of a friendly rant on How to learn programming? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132153) due to the extremely vague and extremely often-asked subject matter. So often asked, that the good moderators of our Programming Talk forum have made two very comprehensive sticky threads dealing with the issue that the OP was asking about.

For those who know me on the Programming Talk forum, I have been an active member there since I joined in 2006. I've helped a LOT of posters with their questions, sometimes tolerating tedious questions that other users refuse to answer. I love helping and teaching people.

But there is a limit to charity!

As the user-base of these forums grow (not just Programming Talk, but all of ubuntuforums.org), I fear that we'll find ourselves swamped with questions that have been asked hundreds of times already, or with answers which are easily found by using the search function or 30-seconds search on Google.

Although I think the veteran members should try to be friendly and helpful to new users, we should all encourage new users to:
1. Post their questions in appropriate forums.
2. Use the search function to look for answers before posting a new thread.
3. Use Google or their preferred search engine to seek answers on the greater WWW.
4. Read sticky posts at the top of forum pages for FAQs, README threads, and other pre-compiled resources.

Who is with me? :D

Dissenters feel free to throw me tomatoes (but no Molotov cocktails, please). ;)

[DISCLAIMER: Yes, I searched the board first. And I posted on Community Cafe instead of Forum Feedback, as I would like critiques or opinions from the wider community, rather than only moderators or administrators.]

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I think this is the case with any forum as it grows though. Questions get repeated as a matter of course.

The thing is that the answers may need to be changed from time to time as well, due to minor changes in the OS.

That said I do agree with what you say, it would be nice for questions to be in the correct sub-forum, and for people to search first ;)

thewolfman
April 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I must admit that there is a lot of truth in what you say, I myself am also guilty of not looking for similar posts or questions.

Maybe the Ubuntu chaps could create an easy-to-look-through list for the lazy thickies like me!!.

But having said that, I do appreciate all the help I have had over the time I have been using Linux and I hereby give all the people like you; my heartfelt thanks.

Have a good one

thewolfman

XubuRoxMySox
April 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm a delighted newbie who is very satisfied with the help I've received in the Absolute Beginners forum here. But I'm really surprised by the number of posters who ask vague questions and then two minutes later they're like, "WELL??! Isn't anybody gonna answer me?"

Geez, man. You want professional tech support? Pay for it! Canonical offers pro tech support for Ubuntu (I think I'll take one of their classes actually - I want to support Ubuntu any way I can, and my I Do it With Ubuntu teeshirt doesn't seem enough).

So a word from a newbie to all you other newbies: Be nice to the volunteers who prob'ly have better things to do than spend time helping us newbies. They do it just because they want our first experience with Ubuntu to be happy. Say thank you! Express a little appreciation to the volunteers who invest time in us! Make them glad they stopped by to lend a hand, and keep them coming back for more thank-yous and cyber-hugs and appreciation.

-Robin
(a very grateful newbie)

mxboy15u
April 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM
Now he has 2 threads about the same topic. How ironic. Get over yourself pal, it was a discussion posted in the community section, its a forum not a book, new threads are not wrong.

forrestcupp
April 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Python sucks! ;)
Just joking

A long time ago, I went on a rampage of helping a lot of people out in the support forums. I remember getting frustrated about the same thing. I posted a thread where I included a screen shot of either General support or the Absolute Beginners section showing something like 4 or 5 threads on the first page that were about exactly the same thing.

The thing is, you can rant about it and straighten everyone out, but tomorrow there will be a hundred new people who didn't hear your rant. And they'll do what new people do.

It will never stop. My advice is that if you're getting tired of answering the same questions over and over, just stop answering them.

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
This problem is as old as the internet itself.

On any help forum people post questions that have been answered a thousand times or can be solved with a 10 second google search.

Depending on the mood I'm in, I'll answer such questions, or not.

ashmew2
April 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Well i sort of agree that questions are repeated so many times..but i think most people (atleast i Think so) search before they post.
I have been a member here for a couple of years and (lol..) I still havent figured out how to use the Search.

For example if i put in xXxYyY , sometimes itll show me totally irrelevant threads not at all associated to xXxYyY ...or maybe thats just me. :D

PS - i agree with the google search thingy 100%

billgoldberg
April 22nd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well i sort of agree that questions are repeated so many times..but i think most people (atleast i Think so) search before they post.
I have been a member here for a couple of years and (lol..) I still havent figured out how to use the Search.

For example if i put in xXxYyY , sometimes itll show me totally irrelevant threads not at all associated to xXxYyY ...or maybe thats just me. :D

PS - i agree with the google search thingy 100%

The search feature on this forums sucks big time.

If I want to search the Ubuntuforums, I use google.

Just use this simple query:

site:ubuntuforums.org xorg problem

Google will then list all the mentionings of xorg and problem on the Ubuntu forums.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=site%3Aubuntuforums.org+xorg+problem&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

Joeb454
April 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
The default vBulletin search is pretty rubbish.

Apparently with vBulletin 4 it's meant to be vastly improved, I guess we'll see whenever it's released :)

WatchingThePain
April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
The Ubuntu forums are nice because they are not too strict on things like that.
They are a bit like a chatroom lol.

Now chuck tomatoes at me.