PDA

View Full Version : Laptop multimedia keys "Kubuntu" Jaunty (9.04)

kpkeerthi
April 22nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Can someone running Kubuntu Jaunty pls. confirm if your laptop multimedia keys work?

I have KDE4.2 running on Arch. I have all but one multimedia key not working. When I press the 'Mute" button, the OSD simply shows up displaying the current volume level but it won't mute the channel (I have master selected as the main channel in Kmix). Does it work in Jaunty (Kubuntu)?

I can test with a live CD but I'm on a limited bandwidth.

kpkeerthi
April 23rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
bump

jaimedavila
April 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM
On my IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X40, the keys do control the volume, but I am not getting any visual feedback of the fact that they have been pressed on the screen, or on the kmix tray icon.

der_joachim
April 25th, 2009, 08:31 AM
No laptop multimedia keys whatsoever. It could be Amarok 2 though...

snova
April 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Can someone running Kubuntu Jaunty pls. confirm if your laptop multimedia keys work?

They do.

I have KDE4.2 running on Arch. I have all but one multimedia key not working. When I press the 'Mute" button, the OSD simply shows up displaying the current volume level but it won't mute the channel (I have master selected as the main channel in Kmix). Does it work in Jaunty (Kubuntu)?

I had to fix Kmix, but also the global shortcuts (make them target Master instead of PCM). I don't know why KDE so consistently (Intrepid did it as well) picks the wrong one. :)

Namtabmai
April 25th, 2009, 11:22 PM
This is probably better off in one of the support forums but;

Run xev from a terminal, focus on the window that is produced and press your mute button. The terminal should show something like;

state 0x10, keycode 121 (keysym 0x1008ff12, XF86AudioMute), same_screen YES,

The XF86AudioMute, is the important part. If you get this your system recognises the button a mute button and KDE isn't picking this up. If you don't see this, then the system as a whole doesn't think the button is a mute button.

jaimedavila
April 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I don't get anything from xev, but the hardware does treat the keys as mute, volume up, volume down, etc, as evidenced by the fact that the volume does mute, and go up, and go down. In my case it's just that I get no screen confirmation that the key was pressed, or on the systray kmix icon.

kpkeerthi
April 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I had to fix Kmix, but also the global shortcuts (make them target Master instead of PCM).

Can you elaborate?

snova
April 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Can you elaborate?

System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts

KDE Component: Kmix

The keys were bound to generic actions, "Decrease Volume", etc. I moved each of them to the one with "Master" in them.

jaimedavila
April 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Those system settings are probably useful. In my entries the "master" setting is blank.

Now, does anyone know what to do if, when I try to map the master mute to the mute button, I press the mute button and it doesn't register in the input box? Notice that, when I tried pressing the mute button inside the box created by xev, I got nothing.

Thanks,

Jaime

Firestem4
April 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Kubuntu 9.04 works with Volume Up/Down and Mute. I have not tested the rest. Running on a Dell XPS M1210.

Amarok sometimes has to be configured against the default KDE Global or Program hotkeys. For instance my HP Pavillion Dv9600 has a lot of multimedia keys and so far I've only gotten the volume to work globally. Play/Pause only works when Amarok is my active window. (Running Arch w/ KDEmod on my HP laptop)

My previous dell laptop (Inspiron). The keys would work globally but Pause would restart the song from the beginning.

der_joachim
April 28th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I did some testing, and it was amarok2 after all. The amarok 1.4 shortcuts were overwritten. As somebody wrote earlier in this thread, the volume keys are configured for kmix, and for some reason amarok2 does not use kmix. I am still looking for a way to get them to play together.

SLA_leandrin
May 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
System Settings -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Global Keyboard Shortcuts

KDE Component: Kmix

The keys were bound to generic actions, "Decrease Volume", etc. I moved each of them to the one with "Master" in them.

Hi.

This worked fine for me, BUT now there's no graphic display of the volume percentage when turning volume up or down... does anyone knows how to fix that??

Cheers.

nikolardo
May 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hi.

This worked fine for me, BUT now there's no graphic display of the volume percentage when turning volume up or down... does anyone knows how to fix that??

Cheers.

ditto for me. I had a graphical display but no mute functionality when the keys were linked to the PCM volume, when linked to the master everything seems happier and mute works, but no display.

I seem to have fixed this for me. It should work for everyone. Right-click the Kmix icon on the panel, click "Select Master Channel..." and set "Master" instead of "PCM" as the master channel. Then go into "Keyboard Shortcuts," and set the hotkeys not the simple "increase volume" "decrease volume" and "mute", not the ones with "Master" in the title. Having the simple settings brings the graphical volume display back, and having "Master" as the Master Channel makes it so that the shortcuts apply to master.

Rythan
June 24th, 2009, 06:01 PM
ditto for me. I had a graphical display but no mute functionality when the keys were linked to the PCM volume, when linked to the master everything seems happier and mute works, but no display.

I seem to have fixed this for me. It should work for everyone. Right-click the Kmix icon on the panel, click "Select Master Channel..." and set "Master" instead of "PCM" as the master channel. Then go into "Keyboard Shortcuts," and set the hotkeys not the simple "increase volume" "decrease volume" and "mute", not the ones with "Master" in the title. Having the simple settings brings the graphical volume display back, and having "Master" as the Master Channel makes it so that the shortcuts apply to master.
Ah, that is the correct solution thanks