PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 1st time install... how do I...?

S74RBUCK
April 22nd, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hello everyone,

I've decided to install Ubuntu for the first time, as soon as 9.04 is released this week....

I would like your expert advice.

I have a laptop, (one HD of course) and I have 3 partitions on the HD.

C for windows and D&E partitions for data.

I don't wish to have a dual boot (i'm done with windows) so I'd prefer to wipe windows os as I'm installing ubuntu. I would like to keep my other two partitions (D and E) untouched because that's where my data is... which option do I need to choose when I get to the partition selection during ubuntu install... I know guided will do a dual boot install and I'm not ready yet to do manual partition... if I choose first option will that wipe the entire disc or just C partition?

Is this even possible to achieve?

I have 3gb of memory on this laptop. Does that mean that swap space must be 6gb?

You might find these questions silly, but I've looked and I can not find the answer I'm looking for...

Thanx in advance... :P

pbpersson
April 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
1. No question is silly

2. Boot from the Live CD and verify all your hardware functions BEFORE you install

3. If at all possible, backup your critical data to an external hard drive or a network server in case you make a mistake

4. If you want to specify where you want Ubuntu installed, you need to do manual setup - it is the safest route. The "guided" option has given people the impression it was going to save their data.....well, I have never used it myself so I know nothing about it really.

5. I always go with RAM * 2 for the swap space. I don't think you really need that much in Ubuntu but I have used Windows since 1992 and old habits die hard.

Most likely you will need to delete the current C: partition and where it used to be create a / partition along with your swap partition

youknowwhat4q
April 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Just because you have such a large amount of ram I would say that you can get away with 1.5xRAM for your swap. Unless you plan on becoming a super user immediately, then go for 2x.

+1 Run live for a week or so. Make sure that things work well.

S74RBUCK
April 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
ok thanx a lot... I'll do Live for a few days before I jump completely in...

FredB
April 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Good luck. And don't forget to ask questions if you need some infos.

youknowwhat4q
April 23rd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Good luck! I look forward to seeing you around the forum!