PDA

View Full Version : Ditching cell phone for skype?

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi guys,

I'm considering ditching my cell for skype... I thought if I bought one of those wifi phones and used skype with unlimited calling for $3 a month I believe I could save myself at least 90% of my cell phone bill. There is wifi most places I go: home, campus, etc. I don't actually use my cell that much, but I do like/need the functionality.

Has anyone taken the plunge to sever the ties with their cell provider?

Icehuck
April 22nd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm considering ditching my cell for skype... I thought if I bought one of those wifi phones and used skype with unlimited calling for $3 a month I believe I could save myself at least 90% of my cell phone bill. There is wifi most places I go: home, campus, etc. I don't actually use my cell that much, but I do like/need the functionality.

You can't dial 911 with Skype. What do you do in case of emergency? Don't say chances of emergencies are slim because it will bite you in the ***.

smartboyathome
April 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hi guys,

There is more than that, as you have the internet charges by the company you're using the skype phone through. For mobile internet, you'd probably get quite the bill.

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 04:39 AM
Well, I will still have a landline at my place (room mates) and I live in a metropolitan center, so no problem really finding a bystander with a cell, a payphone or whatever.

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
Didn't see the reply by smartboyathome before my last post. I wasn't planning on using mobile 3g or anything, just wifi hotspots where available. Like I said, on campus, at home, and downtown there are hotspots at any cafe etc. If I were to use 3G the prices would be astronomical and this definitely wouldn't be worthwhile.

smartboyathome
April 22nd, 2009, 04:48 AM
Didn't see the reply by smartboyathome before my last post. I wasn't planning on using mobile 3g or anything, just wifi hotspots where available. Like I said, on campus, at home, and downtown there are hotspots at any cafe etc. If I were to use 3G the prices would be astronomical and this definitely wouldn't be worthwhile.

Then you would probably save a lot of money. :)

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM
Thats what I figure. I just did the math and I could easily halve my phone bill even loading up on a couple of options on skype. The only sacrifice would be having to find a hotspot, which wouldn't be so bad, and maybe a good excuse to not call people back/miss calls when needed. The other expense is texting, but I think texting is a bit laborious and hard to get anything accomplished in a timely manner anyway.

dmizer
April 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't count on SKYPE working well on all your random hotspots. I've found that many do speed throttling which kills voice quality.

I've been using my wifi SKYPE phone for a while now, and there's no way I could give up my cell phone.

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thats a good point about the throttling. How bad does the quality get if its throttled? I also wondered if the skype instant messaging works on skype phones, does it work on your model?

cariboo
April 22nd, 2009, 06:44 AM
Another thing to think of is once you leave the city, there are lots of palces where a cell phone won't work, and wifi is even scarcer. Unless of course you are one of those people that lives 2 kilometers from the beach, and you've never been there. :)

tom66
April 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Would it be better if you got a skype phone, but got it as a top-up phone with wifi and GSM? So you can have £5 on it in case of emergencies.

Zlatan
April 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi guys,

I'd rather choose some smartphone with wifi ability and use Skype for Windows Mobile: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/windowsmobile/
or http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/mobile/

dmizer
April 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Thats a good point about the throttling. How bad does the quality get if its throttled? I also wondered if the skype instant messaging works on skype phones, does it work on your model?
SKYPE is useless on throttled hotspots.

This is mine: http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-SPH101-Skype-Wi-Fi-Phone/dp/B000F76W78. I can't do Skype IM on it that I'm aware of. Other models may be able to. Belkin makes one very similar.

I'd rather choose some smartphone with wifi ability and use Skype for Windows Mobile: http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/windowsmobile/
or http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/mobile/
This is what I would suggest doing. It would save you money, and you wouldn't be caught without connectivity in a pinch.

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
The problem with having a cell with wifi and skype is that here in Canada, we only have one GSM provider (Rogers) and they don't offer any smartphones with prepaid services. So I would have to buy one unlocked which would probably cost a bundle. Then with buying an expensive phone, paying for skype service, paying for the cell contract, I wouldn't be saving any money at all.

mxboy15u
April 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I am using a battery powered router and my 3G card and doing just this with a wifi skype phone. It has its failings but is definately saving me money!

hkgonra
April 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Another thing to think of is once you leave the city, there are lots of palces where a cell phone won't work, and wifi is even scarcer. Unless of course you are one of those people that lives 2 kilometers from the beach, and you've never been there. :)
I am in just the opposite situation here. Cell phone coverage is great even in rural areas deep in the woods. Free wi-fi hotspots are very few and far between.

fiendishlyclever
April 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I use a Nokia N95. I can run Fring on it and make skype calls over wifi. You get the best of both worlds. Have a look what you can pickup on Ebay.

oldsoundguy
April 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Another thing to remember, there IS A CHARGE for Skype calls to NON Skype recipients. Unless everyone you know or call is registered on Skype, THAT could get just as expensive. (and I do believe that they also have to be ON LINE when you call IF they are members.) (not sure at all about that, but it should be looked into.)

dcast
April 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
I was just looking at some of the phones with wi-fi on ebay, a lot of them aren't cheap but that will be an option to explore. I'm aware of the costs of skype and for skype out unlimited calling in N. America its only $3 per month and for a skype in number I believe it comes to about $7 per month so thats still a pretty good savings.