PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu as only OS not working properly.

Zaydene
April 22nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
I had Vista on my computer, and It all of a sudden stopped booting, but I really like Ubuntu so I was planning on keeping it. Because (from what I understand) there is nothing on my hard drive.

When I try to use the live cd to install Ubuntu, I get a message that my partitions are to small and I need to free up like 200.....bytes, which was like 2gigs. I don't know what to do, I made a new partition from the 180g of unallocated space and it still says the same thing. Even when I try just press continue, ignoring the message, about 75% through installation, it says that my partitions weren't big enough.

http://yfrog.com/bescreenshotjlsp
^gparted screenshot

Zaydene
April 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Still requesting help.

"bump"

caveman59330
April 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
what filesystem are formating it under.probably shouldn't matter but for Ubuntu I usually use Reiserfs Journaling. I was installing Mandriva Linux and encountered problems when I tried using anything but Ext3

wpshooter
April 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
If there is NOTHING on your hard drive that you need to keep/save, then why don't you just get www.killdisk.com and WIPE the drive completely clean and then try the installation of Ubuntu. I bet it will work then. I would use the MANUAL partitioning method.

cariboo
April 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
My installation takes up about 4Gb of hard drive space for / . I have a seperate partition for /home. I usually set up / as a 5-10 Gb partiton, just to be sure i have enough space to install all the extra programs I use.

Zaydene
April 22nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
wpshooter; So do I need just get the free version of it? Because there isn't any OS I can't download a program. So would I need use killdisk's cd booter?

wpshooter
April 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
wpshooter; So do I need just get the free version of it? Because there isn't any OS I can't download a program. So would I need use killdisk's cd booter?

I believe that there is both a diskette version and a CD version. Personally, I use the bootable CD version. Yes, you would need to have a working computer to do the download and creation of bootable version of killdisk.

snowpine
April 22nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I had Vista on my computer, and It all of a sudden stopped booting, but I really like Ubuntu so I was planning on keeping it. Because (from what I understand) there is nothing on my hard drive.

When I try to use the live cd to install Ubuntu, I get a message that my partitions are to small and I need to free up like 200.....bytes, which was like 2gigs. I don't know what to do, I made a new partition from the 180g of unallocated space and it still says the same thing. Even when I try just press continue, ignoring the message, about 75% through installation, it says that my partitions weren't big enough.

http://yfrog.com/bescreenshotjlsp
^gparted screenshot

This is much easier than some of the responses would suggest. :)
Run the Ubuntu installer. When you get to the Partitioning step, choose "Guided Install: Entire Disk." Post any error messages here, but I predict you won't have any.