PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from Jaunty beta to RC and Final release.

marshallladd
April 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
I am relatively new to Ubuntu and the Linux world. I installed the 9.04 Beta and want ot know, if I am doing regular updates on it(i.e. I updated again today 21 April), will I now be running the RC?

Also, do I have to do anything extra in the upgrades manager, terminal, or alt-F2? Like how it is described to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 beta with the alt-f2 command of "update-manager -d". Will I have to do that to get from beta to the final release or will the Beta automatically update itslef to the final release?

Thanks in advance.

Mercury_Alpha
April 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
If you installed the beta and have downloaded all the updates that have been released since then, you're running the RC. In a couple days, the final version of Jaunty will be "released," and you'll upgrade to just by downloading the finalized packages.

You only need "update-manager -d" when you're upgrading to a new release number. (The beta is still 9.04, it's just not the retail version.)

marshallladd
April 21st, 2009, 11:51 PM
If you installed the beta and have downloaded all the updates that have been released since then, you're running the RC. In a couple days, the final version of Jaunty will be "released," and you'll upgrade to just by downloading the finalized packages.

You only need "update-manager -d" when you're upgrading to a new release number. (The beta is still 9.04, it's just not the retail version.)

Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Deffinately loving 9.04.

vigyani
April 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Infact you may already be running Jaunty release.

For details see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132243

cheers