PDA

View Full Version : [other] old computer

Integral Void
April 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM
so i have this old gateway
real old
P2 266 mhz processor, 7.5gb HDD, and 96mb ram
it's running fine with windows 98 atm, and i'm using a special (yet old) usb linksys device to contect to the internet

i mean it's running fine, i guess if it works don't break it? what do you guys thing?

lisati
April 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
If you're feeling brave enough, you might want to try booting the machine from a copy of the LiveCD, but suspect that a bit more RAM might be useful.

joey-elijah
April 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
so i have this old gateway
real old
P2 266 mhz processor, 7.5gb HDD, and 96mb ram
it's running fine with windows 98 atm, and i'm using a special (yet old) usb linksys device to contect to the internet

i mean it's running fine, i guess if it works don't break it? what do you guys thing?

Some linux's would run fine on that - DSL, Puppy, etc (they all suck imo)

Ubuntnu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu won't - but as you say if it's happy with '98 i'd let it stay happy.

Integral Void
April 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM
my #1 biggest fear is the amount of time it would take to get that old linksys usb device setup and good to go cause this computer doesn't even have an ethernet port

upchucky
April 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
im thinking UCK may be able to customize ubuntu enough to run on that, and knoppix may be able to get enough info out of the linksys to get the internet working.

joey-elijah
April 22nd, 2009, 01:53 AM
im thinking UCK may be able to customize ubuntu enough to run on that, and knoppix may be able to get enough info out of the linksys to get the internet working.

Knoppix could solve world peace! It's so great at 'justworking' working for a live CD.