PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where can I download meta-packages for kernel upgrade?

rbaleksandar
April 21st, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hi, guys :)

I look in so many threads that the search in the ubuntu forums and in Google gave me as links. I don't seem to be able to find this so called meta-packages.

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
Here I found all kernel-images. I'm particulary interested in 2.6.27-11-generic. I downloaded the deb-package, but as I've read in Synaptic Package Manager, it's not recommended to do that and instead I should use these so called meta-packages that I so eagerly want to find but they seem to dislike me and hide from me :( :D For those of you who'll probably ask me why I want to upgrade the kernel (or update - do not really know which word is better to use here :)) - WiFi issues (for these I need to download another package too) plus display flickerin which as I read here might get fixed after this upgrade... So I hope I'm not bothering you, guys, but I really would appretiate if anyone can give me at least some directions (if not a direct link) for finding this meta-package for 2.6.27-11 generic.

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,
rbaleksandar

oldos2er
April 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Which version of Ubuntu are you running?

rbaleksandar
April 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Oh, sorry. Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (LTS).

oldos2er
April 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I think the 2.6.27-x kernel is only available for 8.10.

rbaleksandar
April 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
I am not sure about that either. As far as I know you can be with an older version of Ubuntu (or whatever Linux distribution your using) but with a newer version of the kernel. At least I read so somewhere here.
Which kernel (later than mine) will you advise me to install? Since I have these problems but I want to remain with the LTS-version (I've always used LTS).:confused:

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate that. :)

drs305
April 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
The latest generic kernel for the version you are running is listed in synaptic as "linux-image", assuming you have the normal repositories enabled.

rbaleksandar
April 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
So I cannot use a newer kernel (without changing my Ubuntu version)? :(