PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What exactly is a partial upgrade?

PacSci
April 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Upon running Update Manager, I get the message, "Not all updates can be installed - Run a partial upgrade to install as many updates as possible." This happened shortly after I added the intrepid-backports repository. I'm wondering, though: what exactly is this? Is it something related to the Jaunty launch, or is it just a list of packages that it needs extra permission to install?

tamas305
April 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM
Windows is to Linux as a straw house is to a brick house. The bricks are harder to get started with, but they're higher quality and won't crash as easily.

I can't help you with your problem but I love that quote.

Hope you can resolve your problems
-tamas

dtoronto
April 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
I had a similar problem yesterday. It seemed that some of my upgrades were video related. I uninstalled my video drivers and did a

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade from the CLI and it worked. Not sure which updates you're having problems with. You might want to post them on here.

PacSci
April 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
It's mostly KDE upgrades - pretty much every KDE package I have on my system. The exceptions are brasero, lintian, and ubuntu-dev-tools.

Any suggestions? (BTW, I mostly use GNOME and Xfce.)

cariboo
April 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
If you are presented with a partial update, please wait a couple of days for the dependancies catch up. Doing a partial update leads to problems in some cases. If you absolutely need the update, open an Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal and type:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

This will hold back the packages with missing dependancies.

Jim

steveg944
April 26th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Thank you cariboo907, that helped me in my 8.04 to 8.10 upgrade.