PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Compiz "trick"

ZarathustraDK
April 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
You know when you play around with compiz and start wondering "hmmm... I wonder if what I'm thinking about will work...", then try it, and it works? Kinda that feeling I had with this one. I haven't seen any suggestions or youtube videos of this one before, so I guess it'll be kinda new to most people, still it's kinda "Captain Obvious".

There's no great magic behind it or anything, just making do with compiz and the Compizconfig-settings-manager. Basically it's just making the cube transparent, using a transparent png with a character (Rei Ayanami in this instance) with the wallpaper-plugin and "show desktop" turned off in gconf-editor-->apps-->nautilus-->preferences. Also, you will have to set the Opacity setting in CCSM-->Cube-->Appearance to 95% or something near a 100 (Straight 100% will draw a solid color as background and wipe the transpancy, at least it did for me; fear not, the little transparancy visible actually makes it look cooler). Result: kickass desktop-character silhouettes that makes your desktop pretty while not totally obscuring the equal awesomeness of a good skydome.

The screenshot doesn't do it justice, it looks awesome in motion and with a good skydome behind it, + with the wallpaper-plugin you can have different characters on each side of the cube. :popcorn:

Edit : Just another reason to do it. It's the answer to the eternal "Darn it! I want these people/cars/whatever as my background, I have the pics, but the background of those pics don't fit well with each other"-problem. This way, the skydome effectively becomes the background of the chosen characters, and an animated one at that :) .

ntowakbh
April 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Whoa! Definitely will do.

Not to be rude, but would you be able to upload that picture of Ayanami? I definitely want to try this out with her, and a couple of other characters from anime I watch.

ZarathustraDK
April 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Whoa! Definitely will do.

Not to be rude, but would you be able to upload that picture of Ayanami? I definitely want to try this out with her, and a couple of other characters from anime I watch.

Sure thing, here's the source-pic, credit goes to the guy whose name is written in the middle of the transparency (ie. makes it easier to customize). Got it off DeviantArt.

ntowakbh
April 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sure thing, here's the source-pic, credit goes to the guy whose name is written in the middle of the transparency (ie. makes it easier to customize). Got it off DeviantArt.

Many thanks! I'll upload a screenshot when I get it set up.

ZarathustraDK
April 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hmm... now I just need a good ressource for "silhouette-pics" with alpha-transparancy in them...