PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quiet Sound

pyong
April 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hi, I just recently installed Ubuntu 8.10, and I have been looking around for help for my problem of the sound being quiet.
I set alsamixer to the highest, and i turned my volume up to the max on my speakers and on the keyboard volume button, it is managable, just not quite as loud as on windows.
I have the Intel D975XBX motherboard With a Pentium D 3.20ghz Quad core processor Extreme Edition
I have an Ati HD4870 Graphics card, and I would like to know if there is any way to make my sound louder

unutbu
April 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
If you do not have a speaker icon on your gnome panel:
Right-click on your gnome-panel and "Add to Panel...". Add the "Volume Control" applet to the panel. A speaker icon should appear on your panel. Now follow the instructions below.

If you have a speaker icon on your gnome panel:
Right-click on the speaker icon
Select "Open Volume Control"
Increase the Master and PCM channels.
If that doesn't help, click Preferences and enable all channels.
Increase them all.

Michael.Godawski
April 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
hi,

so you say your sound is working fine, but it is more quiet than in Windows?

For movies I would try VLC. The digital amplifier is stronger than in other programs.

Also have a look at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878878

You are not alone ;)

pyong
April 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks!
It works now, I was actually kinda shocked at first though, I wasn't expecting it to be that loud, its now much louder than windows too!
Thank you very very much! Much appreciated :)
On some games input lag occurs, generally when a button is pressed alot, most specifically my mouse button, I fixed it with
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL="1/1/1"
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 but I was wondering if i could have that be a default for all programs, including firefox, which also gives me the problem without having to edit the sh file for them all

unutbu
April 21st, 2009, 08:32 PM
Open a terminal and type

gedit ~/.profile

Add these lines

export SDL_VIDEO_X11_MOUSEACCEL="1/1/1"
export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0

to the end of the file. Save and exit. Log out. Log back in.
The environment variables will be set for all programs you launch.

pyong
April 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM
Wow, Thanks alot, :)
Your a really helpful persoun, thanks :D

unutbu
April 21st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Glad I could help! :)

pyong
April 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Me too! :D
Is there a way to +rep in this forum?
Because it is quite due :)
A friend of mine, who just installed Ubuntu is unable to connect to the internet, I told her to do the sudo lshw command to find out what motherboard she has, and it reported as PROD00000000, what should she do?