PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall or format ubuntu 8.10

Naz_Farooq
April 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Hi guys,
I have been using ubuntu 8.10 intrepid since it was announced. Now I want to upgrade it to Jaunty 9.04 but cannot do so for my laptop ATI graphic card. I want to change the flavor now by uninstalling ubuntu 8.10 ang install kubuntu 9.04. Would anyone please let me know how can I do that.
I am using ubuntu 8.10 and Windows XP. How can I save updates of ubuntu 8.10 and uninstall it.
Thanks in advance.

jsowoc
April 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
I would assume that you would like to keep your existing Windows installation intact. I would also assume that you would like to keep any files you currently have in your 8.10 installation.

The answer to your question depends on how you set up your dual-boot. Do you use the Windows bootloader or grub? Do you have your 8.10 installation in "wubi", or on its own partition?

What do you mean by saving updates of 8.10? Installing 9.04 would install newer versions of most programs.

dtoronto
April 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
To do a clean install of Kubuntu you would need to set up the partitions to format your current version of Ubuntu and leave the Windows XP directory intact. I am also not sure that I understand how you want to saving your old updates.

Naz_Farooq
April 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
I would assume that you would like to keep your existing Windows installation intact. I would also assume that you would like to keep any files you currently have in your 8.10 installation.

The answer to your question depends on how you set up your dual-boot. Do you use the Windows bootloader or grub? Do you have your 8.10 installation in "wubi", or on its own partition?

What do you mean by saving updates of 8.10? Installing 9.04 would install newer versions of most programs.

I use grub. It shows me 6 boot options. I have my 8.10 intrepid in its own partition (16 gb). I use windows for some programs for the office. Jaunty does not support my laptop visual card that is AMD/ATI. I have tried to update my intrepid but unfortunately, it says that there is no driver for my laptop visual card in Jaunty 9.04. But I want to keep my system updated to completely migrate from bore WindowsXP to Linux.
I want to keep my updates saved but I think I would not need them if I am using Kubuntu 9.04.
I don't want to uninstall my Windows yet.
Can you please guide me uninstalling ubuntu 8.10 and clean installing Kubuntu 9.04.

slakkie
April 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't upgrade just yet tbh. Upgrading to 9.04 should be relatively simple, and if you ask questions on how to upgrade I don't think you are ready for a RC release.

But if you still want to do it, this would be your starting point: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JauntyUpgrades

Good luck!