PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Set up Socks Server

lord_raptor
April 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hello,
I want to install a Socks5 Server (Or Socks4, but I really would like to have an access control beside using IP ranges) on my Ubuntu Server.

Until now I have tried SS5 and Delegate, but I didn't get either of them to work. Does someone know of a good HOWTO about setting up a Socks5 server with authentification (and how to set up the authentification)?

SS5 seems to be the best package out there, but the documentation is very limited.

Greetings
Lord Raptor

Dr Small
April 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I just use OpenSSH as a SOCKS server.

BkkBonanza
April 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yup, with SSH you can use keys for authentication. Read the man on the -D option.

ssh -D 8080 myname@myserver.com -N

Will open a SOCKS5 tunnel from your local machine to the server. Any type of local requests told to use socks proxy at port 8080 will get sent to the server and be issued from there. You can get fancier as well with reverse tunnels and stuff. It's very easy, already installed and powerfull.

lord_raptor
April 21st, 2009, 08:03 PM
It works, thank you.

Is there a way to minize the speedloss?
When I tested the downloadspeed, I only got a fraction of the server's capabilities.
But I don't know if the problem is client or server-side (I think it's on the server-side because I already tried with multiple PCs)