PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty?

saffagirl
April 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi guys,

Ok I've been using Hardy for a while and think I'd like to take the plunge (I've had issues with hardy and want to see if the kernel's are any better with my laptop)...

what I'm wanting to see is will there be an option to upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty considering they're both LTS, or am I better off wiping the partition (I have vista/ ubuntu dual boot).

I tried installing on Sun and got can't access root when I was doing an advanced install to try and write over my hardy install, any advice would be welcome.

Therion
April 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM
You won't be able to do an online-upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty without doing an online-upgrade from Hardy to Intrepid first.
At that point you could do another online-upgrade from Intrepid to Jaunty if you wish.

Eeesh!

My suggestion: Backup your data and perform a fresh install of Jaunty when you're ready.

Slim Odds
April 21st, 2009, 06:21 PM
what I'm wanting to see is will there be an option to upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty considering they're both LTS, or am I better off wiping the partition (I have vista/ ubuntu dual boot).

Where did you get the idea that Jaunty was an LTS release?

It's not.

saffagirl
April 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM
I've got all my data on one partition. I thought it was a long term release clearly I'm wrong. Is it worth upgrading from a long term release?

coffeecat
April 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Ok I've been using Hardy for a while and think I'd like to take the plunge (I've had issues with hardy and want to see if the kernel's are any better with my laptop)...

If you want to check out kernel driver compatibility with Jaunty, you can download the live CD and see how well it works with your hardware in live mode. You can't do an upgrade to Jaunty with the CD but it's still a useful exercise. Mostly, a later kernel is better but there are some regressions and it's safer to check with the live CD before you do an upgrade. As someone has already said, you must go Hardy > Intrepid > Jaunty. Don't skip a version.

I tried installing on Sun and got can't access root when I was doing an advanced install to try and write over my hardy install, any advice would be welcome.

I may be missing something obvious here, but what is installing on Sun?

saffagirl
April 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the info so far.

I meant I'd looked at the live cd on Sunday (Sun), I'm hoping the kernels are more stable than the .22 and .23 , 2.6.24-19 is the last stable kernel on my machine. (vostro 1310, so far sound , flash, dvd unmapped in 2.6.24-21

coffeecat
April 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM
II may be missing something obvious here, but what is installing on Sun?

I meant I'd looked at the live cd on Sunday (Sun)

Yes, of course. Thanks. I was thinking of the company that's just been taken over by Oracle. I was wondering, "Sun Java? VirtualBox? Surely not Open Office? Hmmm..." :-k

:p

saffagirl
April 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Yes, of course. Thanks. I was thinking of the company that's just been taken over by Oracle. I was wondering, "Sun Java? VirtualBox? Surely not Open Office? Hmmm..." :-k

:p

;)
The simplest things often test us the hardest, you're right it could've been Sun Java or something LOL. I think I might wait to see what the jury says on this one, so far I've heard of unresponsive keyboards/ mice on startup......

relic70
April 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM
My suggestion: Backup your data and perform a fresh install of Jaunty when you're ready.

The only problem with a fresh install is that you have to reinstall third party programs, which you have on your system, and don't come with the standard install. E.G. gnucash, banshee, etc.

williamson389
April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Anyone know the major differences between the desktop edition and netbook edition for Jaunty? i have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, and im wondering if the netbook release would be better.

saffagirl
May 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The only problem with a fresh install is that you have to reinstall third party programs, which you have on your system, and don't come with the standard install. E.G. gnucash, banshee, etc.

Not ideal, but doable...I guess, looking at bugs looks like it's no dice with this for the mo. don't think I'm able to cope without my laptop keyboard and mouse.

thanks for help guys