PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I upgraded and have a few questions

jobo1313
April 21st, 2009, 03:02 AM
I just upgrade to 8.10 and I got some questions. Why can i never find un-installed packages in the package manager. Like i wanted to get vlc and wine but when ever i search they never show up. ANother question is, why when i try to install americas army does the whole system crash.

Thank you to all who can help.

Partyboi2
April 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi, for vlc and wine check in Software Sources (System>Admin>Software Sources) under the first tab that you have multiverse and universe repostories enabled. If not enable them and reload the package list then try searching for them in Synaptic.

jobo1313
April 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
I got vlc from a webpage link but i still cant find wine. Also any insight into why i cant install AA would be great :popcorn:

Partyboi2
April 22nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
I got vlc from a webpage link but i still cant find wine. Also any insight into why i cant install AA would be great :popcorn:
I take it you have the repos enabled then?

jobo1313
April 23rd, 2009, 12:10 AM
Yes i do, but it never shows up when i search.

Partyboi2
April 23rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
Make sure you have reloaded the package list before searching for the packages. If that does not work then open a terminal and try

sudo update-apt-xapian-index then restart synaptic and search for the packages.

jobo1313
April 24th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the help but a hilarious but sad thing happened :lolflag:
"Imminent Hard Drive Failure" So I'm boned and thats the reason nothing was working.:-({|=:cry: a little tip never buy sony vaio's they suck. Hard drive died in only 11 months of use. I'm on a live dvd-wr,thank goodness for linux, this pc would be totally useless otherwise.

Thanks again for services rendered.

:cry:I want to cry ](*,)