PDA

View Full Version : C++ Compiler

Labmonkey
April 21st, 2009, 03:01 AM
I am kind of new to ubuntu and this forum, and I am just about to put ubuntu on my main computer. I was wondering when I do if I could get a recommendation for a good c++ ide. Currently I am using MS Visual C++ Express, but I doubt that will run on ubuntu ;). Thanks for your help!

sekinto
April 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM
There are many different IDEs and Text Editors, and I don't do much C++ so I don't really have an opinion on which one is best. But g++ is the compiler that almost everyone uses in Linux.

M4rotku
April 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM
If you want an IDE, as opposed to just a compiler, then I would suggest looking into Anjuta or Code::Blocks. Also, this link, which is also stickied at the top of this forum, has many good suggestions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=752224

jespdj
April 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Are you looking for a compiler or an IDE?

Install the GNU C++ compiler and necessary other stuff by installing the package build-essential:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
There are several IDEs available for C++, search the forums, because this question has been asked and discussed many times before.

Habbit
April 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
If you also program in Java, you might know Netbeans. Well, it has a C/C++/Fortran plugin too, and I find it quite useful. Also, Geany can be fine enough for small projects if you manage your own Makefiles.