PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe how good Jaunty is

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 02:16 AM
i've been using it since beta, and have to say it is the best version of ubuntu yet. i realize it is not a radical departure from previous versions, but the combination of ext4, a new faster kernel, and 64 bit, have me floored. the speed is amazing. i have never had a better OS experience ever. it has been rock solid stable also.

this is coming from someone that had some pretty good xp installs back in the day. and i will never go back to ext3 or 32bit. ever. thank you ubuntu team for a great release. it just keeps getting better and better.

anyone else have a similar experience? (and yes i realize there are still issues with intel video, which will get worked out)

Methuselah
April 21st, 2009, 02:22 AM
I had migrated to 64 bit with Hardy and the only jaunty installation I currently have is 32 bit and ext3 (since it's an upgrade from intrepid) so I don't think I'm getting the full Jaunty experience.

However, I do think it's a bit snappier than intrepid on the machine its installed on.
Though I am having this issue with a network printer attached to another Ubuntu (Hardy) machine and available over the home network becoming invisible to jaunty after a while.

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
i've been using it since beta, and have to say it is the best version of ubuntu yet. i realize it is not a radical departure from previous versions, but the combination of ext4, a new faster kernel, and 64 bit, have me floored. the speed is amazing. i have never had a better OS experience ever. it has been rock solid stable also.

this is coming from someone that had some pretty good xp installs back in the day. and i will never go back to ext3 or 32bit. ever. thank you ubuntu team for a great release. it just keeps getting better and better.

anyone else have a similar experience? (and yes i realize there are still issues with intel video, which will get worked out)

I can't believe it's not butter. Seriously though, Jaunty is great.

Polygon
April 21st, 2009, 02:23 AM
the new kernel is both amazing (finally, suspend and hibernate work!) and an extreme frustration (wireless is either vastly slower then it was in intrepid, or not working at all, with my laptop, and i am getting random kernel lockups which don't produce any messages in my log files so its impossible to debug)

for me, its great......when it works. But then it crashes so often that i can't use it until it gets fixed, and the wireless thing is a PITA as well. Of course its just my luck that so many good things come with 2 bad apples that force me to stick with intrepid until they are fixed.

Kingsley
April 21st, 2009, 02:25 AM
Sounds good. I'll probably give Jaunty a spin before Fedora 11 comes out.

What kernel version does Jaunty currently use?

Eviltechie
April 21st, 2009, 02:28 AM
2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

ghindo
April 21st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Everything's great for me, other than:
Horrible Intel graphic performance.
Lack of PackageKit.
Still, love Jaunty. Best Ubuntu release in quite a while.
Sounds good. I'll probably give Jaunty a spin before Fedora 11 comes out.

What kernel version does Jaunty currently use?2.6.28

MaxIBoy
April 21st, 2009, 02:30 AM
Sweet, they're on 686 now! Finally!

This could be a major reason for the performance boost.

MichaelRX8
April 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
Other then the intel video issue that you mentioned I have had no problems yet, very impressed. I'm still running 32 bit but I am trying Ext-4. With some tweaking I was even to get 100% of my sound on my Acer Aspire 6920, first time in Ubuntu! It just keeps getting better, I switched from windows about 8 months or so ago and have never looked back. Long live Ubuntu!

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM
Someone was arguing with me a while back about the fact that Ubuntu couldn't get faster, and add new features at the same time. Jaunty proved him wrong.

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
after final release, i'm tempted to do a minimal install just to see how fast it can get. should be great.

Bölvağur
April 21st, 2009, 02:53 AM
I experienced few bugs but most have been ironed out.
The only thing I find wrong with it is that I am unable to turn that fade effect on background switching off. My laptop is quite old and doesnt handle it, but everything else in ubuntu is tolerable speed wise. Do you think it is hardcoded in or would I be able to turn it off with some config files?

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 02:57 AM
the new kernel is both amazing (finally, suspend and hibernate work!) and an extreme frustration (wireless is either vastly slower then it was in intrepid, or not working at all, with my laptop, and i am getting random kernel lockups which don't produce any messages in my log files so its impossible to debug)

i had that problem in ibex maybe once every couple days, (no big deal) but it just goes to show that it depends on a lot of (hardware) factors when it comes to how people experience a particular release. in jaunty, i can not imagine anything better. literally. until the next ubuntu release of course. ;)

on a side note, i heard someone say ubuntu is going to wind up being the "windows" of the linux world. ok with me.

Like the Swallow
April 21st, 2009, 03:07 AM
To be honest it's a tad bloated

ghindo
April 21st, 2009, 03:08 AM
To be honest it's a tad bloatedHow so?

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 03:32 AM
To be honest it's a tad bloated

bloated compared to what? most people's experiences have been the opposite.

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 03:34 AM
bloated compared to what? most people's experiences have been the opposite.

Some command line distro I'm sure.

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2009, 03:38 AM
So what exactly are the problems people have been experiencing with Intel graphics? Because I have an integrated Intel video card and I want to upgrade to Jaunty.

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 03:40 AM
So what exactly are the problems people have been experiencing with Intel graphics? Because I have an integrated Intel video card and I want to upgrade to Jaunty.

lookup the release notes for the release candidate.

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM
Some command line distro I'm sure.

i guess there's always going to be a few in the crowd that find it "different" than most. hence the law of averages. it just comes down to what hardware they are running. but for the most part, jaunty, i believe will be one of the best so far, if not THE best.

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2009, 03:46 AM
lookup the release notes for the release candidate.

Well that just freaking sucks. Guess I won't be upgrading.

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Well that just freaking sucks. Guess I won't be upgrading.

i'm assuming it will get fixed.

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
i guess there's always going to be a few in the crowd that find it "different" than most. hence the law of averages. it just comes down to what hardware they are running. but for the most part, jaunty, i believe will be one of the best so far, if not THE best.

It's 100%, the best Ubuntu, I've had the pleasure of using, and it's not even seasoned yet.

ghindo
April 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM
i'm assuming it will get fixed.Hopefully!

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM
i'm assuming it will get fixed.

Guh, maybe I'll burn an Intrepid disk and a Jaunty disk. That way, if Jaunty sucks with my video card, I can always reinstall Intrepid.

I guess I can always download and try other distros, too. This will be a week of decision making. :)

crl0901
April 21st, 2009, 03:59 AM
I installed it on my D400 and haven't really gotten a chance to play with it yet. Wireless doesn't work out of the box though.

JC Cheloven
April 21st, 2009, 03:59 AM
Hi, I wrote some days ago a review of Jaunty beta on three netbooks:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1123926

I've got a very good impression. Jaunty ran very nicely on all three mini-notebooks (despite the intel integrated graphics).

Greetings

JC Cheloven
April 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hopefully!

@ghindo: your signature's outdated ;-)

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 04:02 AM
I guess I can always download and try other distros, too. This will be a week of decision making. :)

to me, that's part of the fun of linux. i've tried so many distros and versions it would make your head spin. you see, i'm not worried about having the "perfect install". it doesn't exist. even if it did, i would screw it up on purpose, so i could "play". i keep all important info on other drives anyway, so reinstalling is no big deal.

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 04:06 AM
None of the distros that used to work on my machine, work anymore. I can't get the live cd for Mandriva, Open Suse, or Fedora to boot anymore. PC-BSD works, but I wasn't digging the KDE4.2, and the fonts are so horrible, I didn't know what to do with my self.

wolfen69
April 21st, 2009, 04:14 AM
None of the distros that used to work on my machine, work anymore. I can't get the live cd for Mandriva, Open Suse, or Fedora to boot anymore. PC-BSD works, but I wasn't digging the KDE4.2, and the fonts are so horrible, I didn't know what to do with my self.

huh?

swoll1980
April 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM
huh?

Yeah I tried different boot options, I pulled my NVIDIA card out, and nothing seems to work. It's enough to make me want to tear my hair out. I can't even get a CLI. They just hard lock. The funny part is when I do a hardware shut down, it cuts right off, like there was never a kernel loaded, when I know there was.

ghindo
April 21st, 2009, 04:28 AM
@ghindo: your signature's outdated ;-)Good call. :)

JC Cheloven
April 21st, 2009, 05:06 AM
Yeah I tried different boot options, I pulled my NVIDIA card out, and nothing seems to work. It's enough to make me want to tear my hair out. I can't even get a CLI. They just hard lock. The funny part is when I do a hardware shut down, it cuts right off, like there was never a kernel loaded, when I know there was.

Hey... but what kind of hardware you're on ?

Paqman
April 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Everything's great for me, other than:
Horrible Intel graphic performance.
Lack of PackageKit.

Kubuntu has PackageKit, they've ditched Adept.

Time to try out going to the Dark Side?

psyke83
April 24th, 2009, 05:32 AM

for me, its great......when it works. But then it crashes so often that i can't use it until it gets fixed, and the wireless thing is a PITA as well. Of course its just my luck that so many good things come with 2 bad apples that force me to stick with intrepid until they are fixed.

Try:

$ sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

Or if they're already installed, remove them.

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Jaunty is so fast, I've gone back to using Oo3 over abiword. Even Oo3 is hard pressed to take forever to startup in Jaunty.

halovivek
April 24th, 2009, 05:53 AM
i am using jaunty for more than 3 months. But last month i switched it to ext4 and i am using external hdd 1TB. it is really fast in all. the system start up is just less than 20 seconds. Indexing of files is really fast. I used all the space in 1TB HDD and 250GB in my laptop. Hats off to Jaunty.

Giant Speck
April 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
If you install from scratch, does it install the ext3 filesystem by default or does it give you a choice to use the ext4 filesystem?

4th guy
April 24th, 2009, 06:11 AM
If you install from scratch, does it install the ext3 filesystem by default or does it give you a choice to use the ext4 filesystem?

EX3 by default, EX4 available if you want it.

OutOfReach
April 24th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Oh man I just tried it out right now, and I am totally shocked. It is much much faster than I thought it would be. The boot time is amazing, ext4 is amazing. But now I must download and install the 64bit version :)

I am actually considering switching back to Ubuntu from Arch..!

entr3p
April 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Oh man I just tried it out right now, and I am totally shocked. It is much much faster than I thought it would be. The boot time is amazing, ext4 is amazing. But now I must download and install the 64bit version :)

I am actually considering switching back to Ubuntu from Arch..!

Truly I have two loves as well. FreeBSD and Ubuntu. I just keep them separate and secret ;). FreeBSD on one and Ubuntu on another. No reason to only keep one lol.

OutOfReach
April 24th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Truly I have two loves as well. FreeBSD and Ubuntu. I just keep them separate and secret ;). FreeBSD on one and Ubuntu on another. No reason to only keep one lol.

True, true. But I am more of a one-OS-for-everything kind of guy. But I'll probably keep Arch just in case I ever get bored or just decide to check on it :P

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
once you are content with yoursef, you have nothing to worry about.

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 07:11 AM
True, true. But I am more of a one-OS-for-everything kind of guy. But I'll probably keep Arch just in case I ever get bored or just decide to check on it :P

bye

karellen
April 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
I'd love to try it...but my Mandriva install works so well that I'm too lazy to start over with a new OS :D.

BGFG
April 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM
I'd love to try it...but my Mandriva install works so well that I'm too lazy to start over with a new OS :D.

Great point. Same with me and Ubuntu, I did my research, decided on Ubuntu, never looked back....

wolfen69
April 24th, 2009, 07:15 AM

enjoy whatever works for you, all i know is jaunty has raised the bar.

dspari1
April 24th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I think your Intel video card issues may be due to the kernel version. (I think you guys are using 2.6.28)

I was also getting lousy performance on my Sabayon box with my Intel video card, so I upgraded from kernel version 2.6.27 to 2.6.29, and now cube spins at 60fps instead of what seemed to be 15fps previously.

I know you guys are now running 2.6.28, so I'm not 100% sure if the slowness is caused by the kernel or not.

I hope this helps pinpoint your video issues.

Giant Speck
April 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM
EX3 by default, EX4 available if you want it.

Will I see the option during the installation process?

karellen
April 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM
enjoy whatever works for you, all i know is jaunty has raised the bar.

well, at least it makes me curious :D. I used to be a distro hopper, but for almost a year I've quit the search for novelties. anyway, the partitions are there and the new line of distros will always be available for me to try (and I'm thinking here Jaunty, Fedora 11 and Mandriva 2009.1)

bobbocanfly
April 24th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Will I see the option during the installation process?

If you do manual partitioning setup (which is much easier in Jaunty than it has been before) you can choose to use ext4. Otherwise, the installer defaults to ext3.

MikeTheC
April 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Works beautifully here. Can't believe how much faster it boots.

keplerspeed
April 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah another for the boot speed. Fresh install was booting under 20 secs! And Im impressed by the new themes and notification system, its very easy on the eye. I have never totally loved the brown orange theme until now, I am very happy with the new look!

Sealbhach
April 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM
on a side note, i heard someone say ubuntu is going to wind up being the "windows" of the linux world. ok with me.

+1

Me too. I believe that's the whole point. It's amusing to see some Linux users complaining because Ubuntu is so easy to use and everything just works.

TheSlipstream
April 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
My sound is broken. Worked in Intrepid. I'll probably use my Windows backup until Canonical can be stuffed updating to fix it. Looking around, many people have the same problem. How it made it through the testing stages is anyone's guess.