PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia GeForce 9500 GT supported on Jaunty? Coming back to Ubuntu

akiratheoni
April 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
I want to come back to Ubuntu. I have 8.04 installed on my computer; back when 8.10 came out, I installed it, but my nVidia GeForce 9500 GT didn't exactly cooperate too well with it. I don't remember the problem all that well (due to a couple projects at school I needed to use Vista and I've been using Vista for several months instead of Ubuntu) but I remember the problem had to do with the nVidia driver and the resolution (I need 1680x1050).

I've heard that 9.04 is WONDERFUL and I really want to go back to Ubuntu. But I want to know if 9.04 works well with the video card that I have, and if I can get the desired resolution.

steve101101
April 21st, 2009, 01:20 AM
i think. it uses the nvidia driver 180

steve101101
April 21st, 2009, 01:21 AM
according to their website it is.

inobe
April 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM
from my experience i have a 9400gt that works well.

does well with kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04, same for ubuntu..

note: when you install get system updates first before enabling hardware drivers "very important"

edit: i get full resolution 1920x1080p

>>click for image<< (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/duanester/kde42.jpg)

steve101101
April 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
i use the 8600gt and it works great with the linux nvidia driver

geoff123
April 21st, 2009, 02:05 AM
but I remember the problem had to do with the nVidia driver and the resolution (I need 1680x1050).

I don't know why you would have any problems with that card? I did once have a problem with a particular monitor at its highest resolution (1920x1200) so maybe that could be your problem?. I had to manually edit some lines in the xorg.conf file to manually set up the monitor - I assume it was the monitors fault.

I suppose you could have some odd combination that won't work out of the box, but you should give it another try.

Geoff

steve101101
April 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
I don't know why you would have any problems with that card? I did once have a problem with a particular monitor at its highest resolution (1920x1200) so maybe that could be your problem?. I had to manually edit some lines in the xorg.conf file to manually set up the monitor - I assume it was the monitors fault.

I suppose you could have some odd combination that won't work out of the box, but you should give it another try.

Geoff

i run a monitor 20.1 inch monitor

akiratheoni
April 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM

Geoff
The error was really hard to explain. Technically I got a 1680x1050 resolution, but the desktop expanded further than the scope of the monitor -- it was like having the desktop zoomed up to a certain part of the screen. I couldn't fix that problem so I eventually gave up and went back to 8.04, then went to Vista.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm really anxious to get 9.04 to install it but unfortunately I have been soooo busy with school that I might have to wait until the summer to install it :( Or in a couple weeks.

steve101101
April 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
The error was really hard to explain. Technically I got a 1680x1050 resolution, but the desktop expanded further than the scope of the monitor -- it was like having the desktop zoomed up to a certain part of the screen. I couldn't fix that problem so I eventually gave up and went back to 8.04, then went to Vista.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm really anxious to get 9.04 to install it but unfortunately I have been soooo busy with school that I might have to wait until the summer to install it :( Or in a couple weeks.

try the live version.