PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First Time Installation Not Booting Up Completely

bobidybob
April 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM
I recently reformatted my hard drive and decided to install Ubuntu 8.10 instead of windows. So I downloaded and burned a copy of Ubuntu off of the website and installed it. Everything seemed to install just fine. At the end of installation, it asked me to remove the cd and press enter. I did. The screen goes black and nothing happens for a good 15 mins. I decided to hard reboot. I reboot and everything seems to be loading up fine. I see the Ubuntu logo and the progress bar. After the startup nonsense finishes my cursor turns into an x for a second then i get to the Tan screen with my cursor on it.

And thats where it stops. I've waited on that screen for 20+ minutes. I've rebooted it a good 4 or 5 times. Every time it seems to go fine until it gets to that screen where it just stops.

I do get an error right before the grub loader screen that says ACPI: unable to load system description tables. If I add acpi=off to the kernel line it doesnt show that error, but I get the same results. I get to the tan screen and nothing happens.

Any Suggestions?